Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd Ryanair request

Options
  • 14-03-2024 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭

I just landed at RVN in northern Finland. The cabin crew made repeated, quite urgent requests for everyone to disembark quickly through the jetbridge because there was a risk of the plane tipping backwards. That’s a thing I never thought to worry about before, is it Finland specific?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭john boye

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭10-10-20

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Not a Finland only thing.

Aircraft tipping is a possibility on some aircraft if the front half empties quickly while the passengers in the rear half are still getting up.

The A321 and larger B737s are vulnerable to this when disembarking from the front door only.

No risk of this when using 2 doors, S is normal practise for Ryanair.

Was it the B737MAX (or B737-8200 as Ryanair call it)

I would hazard a guess that the crew were briefed about this and maybe were a bit stressed about the risk?

Alaska and United Airlines put support poles under the tail when their B737MAX-9 are on stand. (Maybe the MAX8 too, I'm not sure)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

The airplane tipping over onto its tail happens every so often. When there's too much weight at the back of the plane. Passengers slow to get off at the back etc. Heres an example.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.news18.com/amp/news/auto/united-airlines-aircraft-tips-on-its-tail-during-landing-company-blames-shift-in-weight-4223750.html

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Happened to us in Fuerteventura 2 weeks ago, had to stop short of the exit until more people caught up to us.

No issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Thanks all for the info. I never came across it before.

Flight Radar says it was a 737-8AS but I’ll be honest, even after some Googling, I’m still not sure which model that is.

Assuming a tall support pole isn’t in use, how do cabin crew try to avoid it? Is it just a case of watching the back of the plane and stopping disembarkation if it looks a little busy back there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

That's a 737-800. The "AS" signifies an aircraft built for Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Hager

Were the Mc Vities at the back?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Skyknight

If it was in fact a MAX than I would not be overly surprised as the nose gear on the MAX is 8inches taller that that of the previous generation 737 in order to provide clearance for the CFM LEAP Engines

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

is there a CG indicator in the cockpit to say this might be a problem ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement