Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Considering an EV Budget 15k,help please!

Options
  • 14-03-2024 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

One car household mostly short commutes to work of 50km roundtrip 4 days per week.

Occasionally go from Kerry to Limerick 140 km round trip.Cork city to visit son 160km round trip.

Monasterevin from Tralee would be 2 or 3 times per year .

Coming from a Toyota Yaris so what doe the hive mind recommend?

Wife will be doing the work driving mostly and she is a bit sceptical . Thanking you all in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭munsterfan2

This Ioniq was mentioned over on the bargains thread https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/conor-fingleton/36343827

We bought a 2019 Kona EV last October, range in the high 300's in Winter / motorway driving. Drove Drogheda - Cork return no problem, with one stop. Plenty on done deal around the 18k mark, maybe lower with a bit of haggling

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Would you be better off putting the 15k towards a new or nearly new Toyota Hybrid, if she gets stranded or stressed once it's just not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

I'd definitely go for a Hyundai EV, either 38kwh Ioniq or 39kwh Kona. Can pick up 2020 for that sort of money. Ioniq is a bigger, better car with greater efficiency and range but Kona will probably appeal to your wife more!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Calculate your average mileage you drive a month, figure out how much diesel that would cost and then calculate how much it will cost to run the electric car and a lot of shortcomings/worries will be forgiven!

We recently went from 2 ice cars to 1 ice and one EV (ioniq 38kWh). We are calculating the EV will replace about 1100km of driving a month , about a tank and half diesel.

The diesel would have cost us €120-130 a month

The electricity on a EV rate will cost about €13/14

Now to be honest, the first year of savings for us will only cover the cost of installing the charger, so factor €1000-1300 (after the €300 grant) into the budget for that.

One of the two ices left here on the back of a truck to go to the scrap yard, so we had to buy something. We didn't originally plan to spend as much as we did but we found what we thought was a good deal on a 221 car for €17.5k (and it probably was a good deal). I haven't looked but I presume you wouldn't get a an equivalent ice cars for that money, and then every year after we cover the cost of the charger, we should be €1200 better off a year, which is nice!

You haven't factored in depreciation to those calculations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deuces wild

The longer trips i would be doing the driving .....I think she is coming around...

Feel free to suggest figures for an equivalent ICE of a similar age.

Ioniq 28s that are 7 or 8 years old go into the EV bargain thread at anywhere around 10/11k and get snapped up, so at that price in 5 years time (what else can we go on but this figure) would mean €7k depreciation in 5 years, what would the ICE one lose in 5 years?

Plus factor in a saving of ~€5k on the fuel during that time, even after putting the first year of savings towards the charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Or maintenance. Or road tax. All cars depreciate.

Just to answer the question around which car to get. I can't really recommend ones over other ones cause I've only owned one for a short period of time. But just to say the Ioniq 38 would cover the main trips you listed no problem.

The Tralee to Monasterevin would be pushing it tight though, I think you'd need to factor in a quick charge on way somewhere. And you'd also have to factor in where are you going to charge basically back to full for the return journey

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deuces wild

Wouldnt be an issue usually as would be most likely staying overnight.Thanks for your input.Much appreciated.

• Advertisement

The problem arises when a second journey is needed in the one day or a time when it's low on charge, It's not an issue with a 2 car household but when you're relying on just 1 car, someday your going to get caught out. I'm saying this because i've been there with a very angry Mrs.

2 cars i'd say go for it, 1 car proceed with caution or up your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

Size wise a Renault Zoe would be around the same as a Yaris. Many were sold with very slow 22kW max charging speed, some newer ones had the option of 50kW CCS but some sold don't have it. You would probably want a 38kWh+ size battery to ensure no need to charge most trips which you may get in your 15k budget.

As said Hyundai Kona is quite small (looks big). It's available in different battery sizes. Ioniq 28/38kWh is bigger but good value.

Do you own your own home with off street parking? Are you willing to stop to recharge for 30+ minutes on trips outside of home charger range?

Fuel savings may be quite good .

As suggested depreciation will be biggest cost of ownership so buy well and don't overpay. Bigger batteries are best for lower depreciation and less hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

+1 on the Zoe for your needs. It can take advantage of 22kW charging speeds even when the EV next to you is charging on the CHAdeMO or CCS, which is a big advantage imo. You'll pick up a 2019/20 for about 12-13k with relatively low miles. This leaves you with some budget for a home charge point installation.

NOTE: I've never owned, or driven a ZOE. My EV experience/ownership is 24kWh Leaf(s) and Tesla Model 3.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Your usage case is one of the few that fits a PHEV well.

About 9k would get you an Ampera, v rare but they come up on DD now and again. 50km EV range which would cover the commute and you'd only use the engine for those longer trips and not have to rely on the charging network. Note these only have four seats.

Many of the newer PHEVs have improved battery range which might cover the commute but be wary if shopping older PHEVs as many of them can't really act as EVs, the engine kicks in under acceleration or at higher speeds.

We are a one car (plus campervan) household and have an Ampera for a very similar usage case.

Advertisement