Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

El fabiolo

Options
  • 13-03-2024 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭

The Queen mother chase today had 6 runners. El fabiolo was the 2/9 favourite in this race. Thousands of punters had him in as part of multiple bets and had he won this 6 runner race the bookies would have lost millions! He made a jumping error in mid race, it happens, but was pulled up . The horse who was alongside him when he was pulled up ,a 16/ 1 shot ran on to be second. El fabiolo thankfully suffered no ill effects and walked off the track in perfect condition. I don't know but something strange happened there today!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,156 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

It looked like there was an issue with the horse,lame etc, would you rather they kept going and the horse died? This is pure pocket talk, how much could you have won ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

There was no issue with the horse ,where are you getting "lame etc" from? I hadn't a cent on the horse, I simply don't back odds on runners. I simply outlined the facts of the race. Bringing in silly emotive stuff like " would you rather they kept going and the horse died" doesn't change those facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭standardg60

Never jumped a fence to begin with, had an off day, was bound to happen to one of them. It's the reason bookies love multiple bets.

He wasn't going to feature even if he'd kept going, jockeys know as much from the off, love the individual comments from them after the race btw.

That's one way of looking at it. Another is that the bookies were extremely fortunate that the 2/9 favourite in a 6 horse race pulled up,not injured or anything just pulled up, and saved them many millions!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭standardg60

Suede and Isaac don't buy horses to make money, they've probably lost millions, they wanted to win the race. The horse was 2/9, only one Mullins horse, which fell when leading at the last, has failed to win when odds on at the festival. El is now the second from 12 I think, to suggest some sort of conspiracy is nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭dickdasr1234

He was highly likely to have strained himself and had no chance after that kind of momentum stopping error.

Please watch it again and reconsider your comments.

https://www.racingtv.com/watch/replays/13-mar-2024/cheltenham/1530

Ok, you have to agree that horse racing has and always had a little whiff off it when it comes to, shall we say, unforseen results, they are well documented. My point is that in this instance the bookies stood to lose millions , millions understand , and ,this is so crazy it might be true , but it is not inconceivable that something fishy happened here. I'll put it this way if the horse came from a small yard with small connections there would be stewards inquiry IMO.

Ok, you have to agree that horse racing has and always had a little whiff off it when it comes to, shall we say, unforseen results, they are well documented. My point is that in this instance the bookies stood to lose millions , millions understand , and ,this is so crazy it might be true , but it is not inconceivable that something fishy happened here. I'll put it this way if the horse came from a small yard with small connections there would be stewards inquiry IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭howareyakid

Shades of the whole “Annie Power falling at the last” talk. El Fabiolo has always had a mistake in him. I’ve never sat on a horse but can imagine it would be very difficult to “make” a horse make an error like that.

Post edited by howareyakid on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

He hit the first two fences then all but fell at the fifth and stopped up completely. How is it you think Townend made him jump badly? Surely if he was not riding normally something would be visible on the video.

Claiming the horse beside him when he was pulled up placed is nonsense. There was a horse beside him very briefly out the back of the fifth alright but that horse was still moving. By the time Townend gets El Fabiola moving forwards again the same horse is 15 lengths by him and is in second last so you're talking 25 lengths to the leader. You don't land in a heap out the back of a fence nearly half way around the circuit, hand a Champion Chase field 20 odd lengths and then go by them all on a horse that's rattled from a fall and was jumping like a piano before it in any case.

How do you know he's not injured? Not every injured footballer leaves on a stretcher. Lads walk off the pitch and then miss months with injury.

Let's assume your baseless assertion happens to be correct. How was Townsend supposed to diagnose a clean bill of health from the horses back? If he's so much as a bruise or lameness in the legs that got dragged under him he could butcher the next completely and come down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Tin foil hat stuff

Give over.

Im sure paddy power whispered in the horses ear and asked it to junp like a fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

8/11 favourites were beaten at odds on so it's a nightmare race for punters

Shishkin was pulled up at 5-6 in 2022; Chacun Pour Soi was beaten at 8-13 in 2021; Defi Du Seuil could finish only fourth of five when 2-5 in 2020; Douvan was stuffed at 2-9 in 2017; and Un De Sceaux didn't deliver at 4-6 in 2016.

El Fab had little to beat, actually think taking him out that we might have the weakest champion chase field in history

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

You probably thought Ruby jumped off Annie Power too. If you had an iota of knowledge about horse racing you’d have known El Fab has made many jumping errors in previous races and something like today could happen. Then again you don’t have an iota of knowledge so this post will go over your head

My pocket is black and blue after the El Fabiolo fall and at no point whatsoever have I thought "Shenanigans".

It's jump racing, any horse can fall at any fence.

El Fabiolo is not the cleanest jumper in the world at the best of times, he has his own bawky style but it served him well in his previous eleven races.

Paul Townend did the 100% right thing in pulling him up. Injured or not, his race was run.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭DaithiMa

Deleted

Hehe, why are you trying to insult me, one of the few posters here that doesn't have you on ignore!

"How do you know he's not injured " That's a ridiculous comment. He was not injured nor has anyone claimed he was or is injured. To suggest as some here do that with millions at stake it is inconceivable that he was never going to win that 6 horse race shows that as the old saying goes "there's one born every minute "

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The jockey's responsibilities are to the horse and it's owner. To suggest any jockey/trainer/owner would sacrifice winning a feature race at Cheltenham to appease the bookmakers is ridiculous.

As for your line "that horse racing has and always had a little whiff off it when it comes to, shall we say, unforeseen results, they are well documented." is more nonsense, you could point to any sport and say that and pull up one or two incidents to prove your point. Not trying in a £2000 handicap in Chepstow on a Tuesday evening to maybe get a better rating in the next one is far removed from a Championship race.

It's like saying a part time footballer in the Croatian third division getting booked on purpose is proof that football is dirty and Kingsley Coman missed his penalty in the WC final to appease the bookies.

• Advertisement

You make it sound like the jockey/trainer/ owner were hoping for a first festival winner. First of all the jockeys responsibility is to the man who has hired him plain and simple. I never suggested anything was done to "appease " the bookmakers. What I did suggest however was that with millions at stake it is not beyond the bounds of possibilities that something is not right here .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

If you think a jockey/trainer/owner would be so blasé about Championship race even if they've a couple of thousand winners under their belt suggests to me that you know as much about the sport as a dog knows about its father.

Funny that you should bring up the Annie Power race. That also was the last bet on the thousands of multiples that stood to cost the bookies millions. Its probably just a coincidence that its on the last leg (the sure thing part) of the bet that these unforseen events happened.

I think the part about millions at stake went completely over your head. And why, and it always amuses me, do you feel that throwing in an insult somehow enhances your argument.

It was a statement not an insult.

no it was a clear indication of a guy who is so insecure about what he's talking about that he feels the need to insult, sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Well if a horse loses earlier in the sequence it doesnt get to the last leg.

You are clutching here.

Doh!

Therefore no need for an Annie Power or El Fabiolo type occurrence.

And I’d say when they decided you were the one for that minute they probably said we’ve enough done and stopped for lunch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

I think I’ll move this thread to the conspiracy theories section

Advertisement