Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Carzone.ie valuation and dealer's valuation.....

Options
  • 13-03-2024 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭

How accurate is Carzone on their valution tool? And how accurate are the asking prices on Carzone??

I have a 191 Volvo V60 Momentum with 170kms. Carzone gives a valuation of €26k, which I thought a bit high, but I'm being offered €15k by a VW dealer vs a new 2024 Tiguan (list price €50k)

I know mine is high kms, but still this seems a very low offer, I was expecting €22/23k, €20k at worst.

Looking at Carzone, there's one same as mine with 129kms on sale for €28k (not a Volvo dealer) and 93kms from Vovo dealer for €33k

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭User1998

The Carzone valuation is generally not accurate whatsoever, but €15k still seems low.

You could try Autobuy or Zucar etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Carzone valuation is extremely high I have found, does not resemble in anyway what you will sell a car for

I think the plan is over value the car so you will put the ad up thinking you can sell it for that, once the ad is up you have paid them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

You'll be lowballed by dealers, as they flat out don't want the hassle of trying to get rid of your car.

On the other hand, Carzone make money from sellers, and may be able to persuade sellers to advertise there if they believe they might get a higher price for the car. It's all a bit of a game really, but a 22k car is a hard-ish sell privately, especially since it's relatively high milage for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭goochy

mileage probably a bit high for main dealer to be interested , its not a popular car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Thanks everyone, good points.

Wonder what I'd get for it in a private sale. Given Carzone prices above (are they getting these kind of prices??) surely €20/22k?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Carzone dont have to stand over their prices in any way, dealers do so its just some algorithm they have going on, means nothing in real world.

15k is too low though. They really are lowballing at the moment, I dont think current stock is shifting and they need top money on every sale.

Only way to really get valuation is to get the average of 5, 10, 15 VW dealers against something similar to what you want to buy. I am going to guess closer to 15k than 26k though so you might be a few k short of what you really want.

Depends on how much time and effort you want to put into talking to them, but could be worth a few thousand to you

Al hayes , Frank Hogan and Michael moore in Portarlington are all VW dealers who like to deal - hence they sell cars all over place

Connollys are VW and Volvo dealers and do great deals

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Forget the carzone valuation, it's not an accurate reflection of the market. 15k is a trade offer most likely. VW dealer will not retail a car with that mileage so they just offer it out to their list of smaller motor trade contacts. Have you tried any other dealers, prices can vary alot.

Here is a similar one with a bit higher mileage and dealer is asking 19.5k and will come with some sort of warranty:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-v60-2019-diesel-automatic-nct-may25/36384690

So to sell it privately you probably want to be asking around 17.5k or 18k imo

I should have mentioned, I actually forgot, I got an offer of €22k vs a Cupra Formentor a few months ago

When you say a few months ago was it late last year? If so your car was a year younger. What mileage was on your car at the time also?

Also you have to remember that the Formentor has been on sale since 2021 whereas the Tiguan is an all new model just launching so interest in a new model maybe high due to the hype and supply maybe initially low, meaning dealers can be more fussy on prices.

What was the price of both cars? The Formentor is smaller than Tiguan. You really need to compare apples with apples, compare one VW dealer against another on a Tiguan rather than a dealer of a different brand and model as there are variables at play. For example if the sticker price of the Formentor is similar to the Tiguan then it's very expensive so it's a lot easier for the Cupra dealer to allow you more for your Volvo against one, it's just moving figures around.

• Advertisement

as i said try one of the VW dealers i mentioned in earlier posts , some dealers sell mostly locally - others sell nationwide as they want to deal

Thanks Goochy, I took that advice and already things are looking a bit better.......

no problem , best of luck

I was with Michael Moore in Athlone as i was down that way, another couple to try, hopefully tomorrow.

Luckily my job brings me all over the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Luna84

Right I was wondering how you put so much mileage on the car. Makes sense.

Portarlington likely to be more keen to deal

update

Purchased one of the first new Tiguans to arrive in the country, 'Launch' version which has some extras FOC.

Sheehy's in Naas, offered 18k for mine plus 1k discount. The 0% is the key for me though, saves €4.7k over 4 years, so like getting €24k for my Volvo.

Turns out there's a car very similar to mine on donedeal for €19.5k, but it's an out-lier (as i said to sales lad). he worked hard to do the deal (was on phone in front of me to the dealer) so just shows you.....

Some difference between VW garages!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Was just talking to mate, the garages are having massive drop off in sales and finding it hard to shift anything. You might have got them at the right time

Well wear . Did you Try the other Vw dealers around country I suggested ? Thought you might do better on trade in

Didn't really have time to in the end, only got to three. The key was the 0% finance - €4.7k saving over 4 years, which ends this Friday so had to get it done. I'd be a long time trying to get another €4.7k fror my car I think.

• Advertisement

Makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭easyvision

Where does it mention 0% finance? Just looking online, all I can see is 2.9? Is this just for launch model or? Cheers

Not sure, I don't think it's advertised as I didn't know anyrthing about it until I started talking to the sales people in the dealerships.

Just be careful with headline interest rates, work out how much your paying overall including interest and capital figure. 0% on full RRP can work out more expensive than say 2.9% on a decent discounted price.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Luna84

I didn't think they gave discounts on brand new cars any more. The price is the price I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I'd say there's decent discounts available nowadays, just don't try to trade anything in !

Discounts are harder to get these days but not impossible.

My point is though, 0% finance is not always the best by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Seven Worlds will Collide

I see VW advertising the new Tiguan now.

I won't be doin no sleepovers in no woods 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭beeker1

Please people , spend the fiddlers on Motorcheck or Cartel given the thousands you're going to part with ! My last purchase exposed a car on Donedeal with double the advertised mileage & when I notified said site they did fuckall about it ! It was €30 at the time for 3 searches , you'd blow 30 quid on a takeaway !

Advertisement