Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moved from Airwire to Sky and now...

Options
  • 13-03-2024 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

Recently moved from Airwire to Sky through OpenEir FTTH.

To be fair the switchover with the UAN was smooth, Airwire stopped in the morning, I plugged in the Sky modem 5 mins later and we were back up and running.

The problem is the speed...

I used to get 700mb+ download on most tests and nearly 100mb upload fairly consistently.

I've just done a speed check on Sky and it's less than 200mb download! Still the 1gb package.

Is this just a congestion thing?

One reason we moved from Airwire is because it felt like (especially recently) the connection was down quite a bit, that and it's 79 euro a month which feels pricey, but maybe that's what you pay to have consistent speeds?

I'm loathe to move to Eir/Vodafone etc - I just don't want to deal with the standard troubleshooting.

Would Digiweb be a compromise between Sky and Airwire in terms of speeds and support? They are 35 euro a month for 6 months then 60 for 6 months then 65 after.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭lotas

dont have experiance with AirWire or Sky, but heard a lot of horror stories around Sky... Checkout Blacknight... for that 80 quid a month, i am getting 2Gb FTTH... actually, thats 80 ex vat, but still... thats for 2Gb down 200mb up.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭DaveByDavid

Don't think we can get 2gb down at our house yet unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭lotas

Blacknight still do 1Gb, and may be cheaper than the other offerings...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭XsApollo

What speed do you get hooked up with an Ethernet cable?

That is with an ethernet cable, albeit through a splitter - but this is the same setup I had with Airwire getting 700+.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Everyone I know who switched to sky for FTTH has said that the speeds they are getting are nowhere near what they are paying for. Some switched to it from Digiweb, some Eir and some Vodafone. They all said they got the full 1Gb at all tomes with those other providers but nowhere near it with Sky.

Avoid Sky would be my lesson learned from these.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭jonnreeks

I'm with Eir and the 1gb package. I am getting 995mb+ download on most tests and nearly 400mb upload fairly consistently.

I just count myself lucky after all the years of broadband!

🤔

Thinking the same.

I think I can use the UAN number to switch somewhere else within 14 day cooling off so I'm probably going to do that.

Sky have apparently contacted OpenEir to look at it but I have no faith it's anything but a congestion issue with Sky.

Very nice!

Not sure I want to go with someone like Eir, but maybe I should try it...

Just don't fancy going round and round in circles and cancelling during the 14 days with various companies. I feel like if I get issues with Eir later it will be a nightmare to sort.

I should really just go running back to Airwire and ask for forgiveness 😂

im not an internet expert, but you check in the router configuration page what sky have set on your line as the max allowable speed, my guess is it’s not a Gig. You can check the contention ratio also. Being With sky contention is probably higher so they reduce the available speed on the line.

if you are with Vodafone on Siro , or Eir on Eir lines you will have the best line conditions.

Digiweb would be good and they have the best Routers ( FritzBox) I think.

i would go with Digiweb out of all the providers of the option was there.

Price is good and routers are the best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

With FTTH you can’t tell anymore from the router what speed profile you are on, it will just show the speed the WAN port has negotiated with the ONT (usually 1Gb unless your ONT and router support higher).

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I'm on Digiweb myself, have been for about a year now. No complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Same, with digiweb for a while and no complaints. Good speed, Fritz box routers are excellent but not mandatory afaik, good service, too. Like actual local people.

As for €65 thereafter, you just make a new annual deal. Nobody actually pays €65 I think.

i went running back to air wire - they are taking over the line again tomorrow.

it’s pricier than digiweb but I know when it’s up it’s consistent and fast, don’t want to take any risks.

digiweb said they would take 3-5 days to take over the line - probably because they would need to send me a new modem (i still have air wire one). Just didn’t want to wait and then potentially have issues.

so for now I’ll stick to air wire, maybe in a year I’ll give digiweb a try.

Sky at one point yesterday

Airwire today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭allen175

What exactly is your setup like?

When I moved to sky for ftth a few years back I noticed the same issue, not getting the full 1gb speeds. I had the sky router in the hall and that was feeding a switch in the utility room sending ethernet around the house.

When I was with eir I had the same setup and was getting 900mb+ at all times.

I think the sky router is a pile of sh#te and it wasn't able to handle multiple connections through a single ethernet port on the router.

I went out and bought a semi decent tp-link router with better features like wifi 6 and configured it and all was good, was getting the full speeds out of sky.

Try testing the router by just having 1 device connected to it and run speedtests.

It's too late now, I already got Airwire to take back over the line, I'm impatient :)

My setup is basically modem with 3 ethernet cables:

• 1 goes outside the house and up into my office and then into an ethernet switch before another cable takes it to my PC
    • Another goes into an ethernet plug and then we have various ones around the house
    • The last just goes straight into Sky Q box as it's right next to modem

Same setup for both Sky and Airwire, the only thing that changed was the modem and the provider.

I don't want to have to go buying new modems just to get Sky to work so I just switched back.

Now I'm getting consistent 800mb+ download, and always hitting 100mb upload.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭allen175

I would say it it the unmanaged switch that was causing the problem, but yeah as you say it's too late now.

The good thing about ftth and having an ONT is that you can buy your own router and set it up with any provider, when you switch, just change a setting and you are good to go, might not even have to change any settings.

Good to know - maybe I'll try again in 12 months :)

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

Who did you complain to that you managed to get 400mb up? :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I was with Airwire for five years and paying €70 per month for 300mbps. When I asked them why I was only ever getting around 90 they didn't even bother replying. I certainly wouldn't go back to them.

I signed up with Sky broadband and had enough of them within the 14 day cooling off period. Because the fools didn't put my Eircode on the modem address label the modem was stuck in a DPD depot. I connected my Fritz modem to get access to the internet but couldn't get my home phone to work because Sky wouldn't tell me what the settings were. As the modem arrived when I was up country I didn't have home phone access for almost two weeks as I wasn't home to set it up. I cancelled Sky and now I'm trying Vodafone.

I think most providers are crap and mess people around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

I'm on FTTH with Airwire (basic 100Mbps) for the past 5 years and finally am thinking of changing providers to Digiweb. They have a good year 1 offer on 500mbps. Excuse my ignorance, but was keeping in contract with Airwire for an extra month while you switched to Digiweb not an option so you had no loss of service? I hope to do something like this as being without broadband is not an option!

Yeah you could absolutely do that.

I could have stayed with Sky for another week and let digiweb take over the line within that time as it was within my 14 day cooling off

I just knew that airwire speeds worked well so went back.

I’ll probably give digiweb a go in 12 months, can always go back to Airwire I guess!

I could even go digiweb now under 14 day cooling off with Airwire as I now have a new contract, just can’t be bothered with the faff

Advertisement