Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Form 11, 12 or CG1 ?

Options
  • 13-03-2024 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

My company has been awarding me with RSUs for a number of years and up until recently I have engaged a tax advisor to complete the relevant returns each year. This is getting quite expensive however and I am considering doing it my self going forward.

I have searched for previous similiar questions but I am still unclear on which form I actually need to submit each year. Is it Form 11, 12 or CG1 ? (Form 11 is an absolute beast at 47 or so pages, are us mere mortals actually expected to complete that ??)

I have no addtional income outside the PAYE system other than RSU and ESPP shares.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

The acquisition RSUs don't have to declared on tax return as the income tax element on the benefit received is taxed through your payroll. Only the later sale of the shares obtained need to be declared on a CG1 return as the normal rules of CGT apply just like they do to an asset. If you had any dividends, these also need to be included in your annual income tax return filed via your Revenue Myaccount.

If you have essps that are taxed through payroll then it's the same as the RSUs.

If the espps weren't taxed through payroll, then you had to pay the income tax by paying rtso within 30 days of exercise and follow up with a form 11 tax return the following year via ROS as you are a chargeable person. And again if you had later disposals of the share obtained, you need to complete the CGT section of the form 11 as well to account for any CGT paid. This is only correct for tax years to 2023. For shares exercised from 01/01/2024, they are all taxed through payroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

Form is long.The majority of the pages if you read thru it are irrelevant to your situation.Follow relax carry on advice

Advertisement