Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jetblue - Dublin to NY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JustAPoorDreamer

Speak for yourself. It's certainly not on around here. Well for someone if they have 3grand to waste flying to America anytime week or weekend I certainly do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭cson

I literally said 'anecdotally', so of course I'm speaking for myself. 😉

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

That one point of view. But some people have that cash or desire.

Approx 10 years back a friend of my wife went on a shopping trip to NYC. Herself and her friend group saved for 3 years (it was someone's 40th)

She spent 3K on shopping, but she reckoned she didnt need to but clothers for her kids for the next 4-5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Astral Nav

Memories.... Trouble is the USA is far more expensive and the Dollar is close to parity with the Euro so those bargain filled days are long gone. Add tipping mania for 20%+ (you'll be strongly encouraged) when eating out and it's even less attractive. Still some savings on higher end electricals and NYC is a fantastic place to visit but for great value it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Having a premium branded credit card is a good way to get into lounges in the US. I have the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege card and that gets me access to all Air Canada lounges regardless of my fare class. Most other NA airlines have a similar deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Indeed. 20ish years ago things like jeans and runners were about a quarter of what they cost here. Go over, fill up a suitcase or 2 with clothes to get you through a couple of years or more and the trip more than paid for itself. Jersey Gardens and Woodbury Common may as well have been Blanchardstown or The Square pre-2008!

I remember being on an EI A330 JFK-SNN in 2006 a couple of weeks before Christmas. Every seat taken so I got upgraded. Every passenger at check in had 2 big suitcases. Captain made a comment about how heavy the aircraft was so don't be alarmed at how long the take off run would be! Was likely one of the original batch of -300s (JFK/CRK/ORD/DUB etc). I think they were 212T MTOW? Big difference compared to the ones in the fleet now. I remember there were 3 A330s at the gates, 2 for DUB and one for SNN, all rammed by the looks of it. The time before that I did the same trip the green World MD-11 was alongside the A330 I got home so God knows what year that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭pureza

1895 euro on some dates in May,cheaper than EI

As low as €1600 in June

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

On closer inspection that 1895 is grand except you have to fly to BOS and then to JFK!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭cloudhopper19

You can't compare those when the JetBlue flight isn't direct and it is to JFK. The EI flight you have compared it too is direct and JFK. Has to be same airport and direct.

900 euros extra to save 2.5hrs

Yeah loads of people would be interested in doing that 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Not those flying in business class. The vast majority of those pax are not price sensitive.

I am beginning to sense you have a bit of an axe to grind about EI and are trying to convince us that this new B6 flight is going to bring much lower fares across the atlantic.

I just made a point

Given the choice if I had to fly in J on that day,the €900 is better in my pocket than IAG's

If you want to construe that another way,you're welcome

On a different note,these flights are available on avios,if you transfer your avios to Qatar's privilege club

I'm not sure but I think to Bos and JFK only €39 each way in taxes and charges plus the avios

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

The lower fares are nice and all but JetBlue will want to be leveraging higher yields sooner rather than later in these markets. Charging considerably less than Aer Lingus and the US carriers when you have a fraction of the seats is not ideal in the long term.

Loads are reportedly very strong initially, or at least for the summer, so I’d expect any lower than average fares to quickly creep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

And aren't the JetBlue services seasonal, at least for 2024?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭sailing

I’ve seen some strange postings in my time but that’s a ridiculous comparison pureza. You are not comparing the fare to the same destination or even direct for that matter. You omitted that EI have two direct flights to JFK on that day, the same destination you are comparing JetBlue to, albeit with them requiring a stopover. So, what was the Direct EI fare to JFK (not EWR!!) and what was the direct JetBlue fare to JFK? If you can’t compare a fare on a level playing field then don’t bother at all.

I would also add that comparing a fare on a particular route for whatever airline over one day is not an accurate picture of fares in general. You would need to choose the comparison over a large number of days, in different months to do a proper analysis.

Post edited by sailing on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Psychlops

My point is simple

For 2 hours extra,I'd have earned €900 by flying jetblue on that day

Those were the cheapest J fares to New York on the day

Not an insignificant sum

But you didn’t. You compared an indirect flight to JFK against two direct flights to a completely different airport.

If you compared all three DIRECT flights to JFK by all three airlines then there would be some legitimacy in your comparison. EWR is New Jersey btw.

Business customers don’t waste time flying via a second airport. It’s direct and quickest time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

That MD11 really was a bucket of shite. I got it a good few times in 2000/01 BFS/SNN/JFK. Used to rattle so much on takeoff/landing that there'd always be overhead bins opening .

Are you saying if I want to go to New York in business class that I have to go to a particular airport if its 900 euros more expensive so as to save 2 hours in time,you know what I'm going to say to you ?

I'm going to tell you to get stuffed tbh

For some reason prices direct in may are quite expensive but I can even fly TAP portugal business class to EWR for €1580 on particular days that month vs €2700 on EI

Albeit 7 hours longer,but I've earned myself €160 an hour in savings by saving nearly €1200 in that example and yes I absolutely would take the longer route and have done

I earned enough TAP miles on that occasion to fly Business class on Turkish to Istanbul to boot in a lie flat seat

• Advertisement

To be fair, it sounds like you are not their captive passenger type for Business. You seem very price sensitive which is something business travelers who use these type of services rarely are.

Yes but a cursory look at these business cabins will tell you a lot of business pax are leisure travellers

I met one couple flying to SFO in January on BA who actually prefer the BA service vs the direct EI,never mind the price

Connecting flights are normally always a good bit cheaper

The sweet spot is,if you can start in DUB and have that one connection in the U.S so you'll have got pre clearance and still have just one connection

There are a lot of status run pax too who will fly multiple connections to renew their status and on their own dime

Small tip,EWR has an excellent train service into Penn station mid town manhattan for $15

Straight off the terminal connecting air train at the EWR International rail station,up the escalators and you are in Manhattan in 30 mins

A lot quicker and cheaper by far than jfk

• Registered Users Posts: 10,186 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I’m hoping this tangent stops soon. However, it’s worth pointing out that EWR is closer to and more convenient for lower Manhattan, ie the financial district. Secondly, I know lots of people who have chosen indirect routes on business. Some have done so to access higher classes of service for the same cost. More frequently, they do so to access more tier points and miles than would be available on the direct route. In this latter point, the most ludicrous I can think of is a colleague who instead of taking a direct return from Seattle to London, re reouted himself via DFW-Puerto Rico-MIA-MAD-LHR.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭cson

EI J is the best premium economy experience in the sky.

Well if you can show me any U.S destination carrier that gives automatic access to a flagship business AA lounge or equivalent on a premium economy ticket or that offers a throne seat like on EI's j long hauls etc etc you'd have a point

Jet blue mint is a good product, one of the best and coolest products out there to fly tatl but it has draw backs,no frequency in the event of irrops and no lounge and a frequent flyer programme that's pretty useless if you are EU based

Although as I said upthread you can earn and spend avios with it if you join the Qatar privilege club,which allows you to move avios over to and from the ba executive club if the accounts are linked or via there into and out of aerclub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Speaking as someone who rarely has anything positive to say about Aer Lingus, you're being unfair with that.

EI's J is fine – it's not the ME3, but it's definitely competitive across the Atlantic.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

With Delta, Jetblue, United and Aer Lingus now all going to NYC is this resulting in any price drops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Nothing particularly noticeable. They’ve wisely chosen two very high demand destinations which also happen to be their largest hubs so there’s plenty of business to go around without any kind of fares war.

JetBlue’s arrival in the transatlantic market was rightly hyped up in the media, they have a great product and a cool brand, but in reality it’s going to be a small player for quite a while yet.

As for EI J, apart from the poor lounge offerings in Dublin and the generally woeful AerClub, the on board product is very much on par with other transatlantic rivals and in some areas edges ahead of larger players like Lufthansa, BA Club World and United Polaris, particularly on their 767s. Way ahead of LOT, SAS and TAP. The new menus are a huge improvement, crew are almost always fantastic and the seat holds its own against plenty of other options. The amenity kit is a joke and could be improved so easily though.

A lot of friends have flown them from Manchester recently and had lots of good things to say. Admittedly the only main competition there is Virgin who have gone from cool boutique carrier like JetBlue currently is, to your bog standard transatlantic airline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I go transatlantic with both EI and BA and would rate EI much better for business class.

51st and Green is a much more pleasant lounge than the BA ones in LHR T5, with the exception of Concorde Room.

Advertisement