Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run Like A Girl!

Options
  • 12-03-2024 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Been meaning to start a log. I'm literally just putting down a marker so my adhd brain will actually see it through (at some point in the future time / space continuum). Maybe I'll never write here or maybe, just maybe, I'll be the Ann Frank of the Training Log forum 😄

A friend gifted me a sweatshirt last Christmas with the above emblazoned on the front and, as I'm unoriginal as feck, so it becomes my log title.

I'm doing Tallaght 5km on Paddy's Day, hoping for a pb. My last 5km pb was a whopper (for me) so I expect it to be marginal, but anything on the pb front is always great.

Lying here beside crazy toddler who's finally nodded off, now to make the dinner. Oh wondrous life! 😀

MM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Alexus25

Good luck MM 🌟🌟🌟

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Welcome to the world of logging (hopefully😅) You're doing some great training at the moment, great to see! Best of luck with the Tallaght 5k on Paddys day💚

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭MiniMonstera

Ok, I finally have time (and focus) to post. Whoop 🤩

So a little bit about me. I’ve been on Boards a bit due to having completed my first marathon in 2023 so I was active in the Novice group last year. Got great advice throughout the weeks and months of training and made many firm friends along the way, many of whom I have since met. Being in that group enabled massive growth within my running journey, both physically and mentally, so once again a massive thanks to the mentors and all those who contributed. I'm (almost) 45 and running since Lockdown 2020, having been sedentary all my life.

After the 2023 marathon, I was back out running soon enough but I think mentally I was a bit traumatised from it. I kept the wheels turning with short easy running and did the Jingle Bells 5km Race in early December. I hadn't trained for this and didn't even know I was signed up (thanks, husband) and low and behold I got a PB (still had a lot of fitness banked from the marathon, I guess). The conditions were ideal for me – overcast but dry and bitterly cold (-3°C). I overheat easily when running so these conditions were optimal, not to mention that the last 1.5kms or so were downhill. I did it in 24.02 negative split, my previous race that year was 25.11, so I was thrilled. It was totally unexpected and I was not watching the watch at the end when I was going all out - had I known I was 3 seconds off a sub 24 I’d have pushed it more and actually vomited over the finish line (came close but managed to hold it back). Through December and January I again kept the wheels turning, with no real goal in mind, but the elation from the 5km success stuck with me and so I decided to train for the Tallaght 5km. And here I am, having put in 6 weeks of focussed running with help from the lovely @skyblue46 who is definitely not my coach but is giving me coach based direction and advice whilst definitely absolutely not being my coach😄. My coach – I mean @skyblue46! – said that 6 weeks was not long enough to train properly for a 5km but I’m still going to try and do him proud at Tallaght with a 23.59 - I’m not making any promises though as the last km or so is uphill, and I can attest that Tallaght is a cyclonic fecker at the best of times. I do one last shake out run today (leaving it til later), the anxiety is only massive! So here’s to 23.59 -  I’ll report back tomorrow! ☘️

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Good luck with the 5k, personally I think it's the hardest race distance. Hate racing it but loved the afters

• Advertisement

Chip: 24.39

Well it was a great day and a lovely race. I knew early on I wouldn't make the ambitious pb as it felt hard when on the down sections. However I didn't go absolutely all out and when it came to the uphill in 4th km I passed a few runners out (some were even stopping on the hill) so I think it was a good strategy, but overall, if I'm honest, it ALL felt hard.

The hillwork I did in my training definitely helped as the incline didn't feel horrific, just challenging at that point in the race, and I never once thought of stopping. The 14 degree temp definitely didn't help and I could feel my palms burning from early on. A tip I saw online was to gently press the tips of your index finger and your thumb together, kind of like👌🏽 but without the fanned out fingers, and it definitely helped air circulate around my palms during race.

For some unknown reason, and I didnt even cop it until husband said it afterwards, I slowed right down to a virtual stop with 5 feet still to cross the mat. I do not know why. I can only assume my brain got a bit fuzzy or I was feeling defeated about the pb. Also, I feel like sometimes when I see the imminent finish line I take the foot off the pedal in an act if self preservation, rather than floor it, and I really can't explain it...

I was hard breathing too but I always do that so I just need to get over it, I'm not a quiet runner, not at all, and I'm pretty sure some people let me run past them because they just can't handle me heavy breathing down their neck! 😆

So all in all, a productive day in terms of lessons learned and roll on the next 5km race in summer (when it'll be even warmer!) 🙈☘️

Post edited by MiniMonstera on

Thank you @marathon2022 , it definitely feels like the hardest and there's no room for much variance in pace at all if you're set on a goal, it's just too short a distance to try and make up any fallback

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Well done on Sunday! Was lovely to meet you beforehand, albeit briefly! That 4th km did not come with enough warning

Ah it was lovely to meet you. I read your log - well done to you too, a great result!

I'm from that area in Tallaght (if you put a pin right in the middle of the race route you're at my mam's house 😀). I felt knowing the route inside out was more burdensome than not having a clue. I felt every kilometre intensely! 😆

Well done J, was lovely to see you beforehand too. It's a tough enough route and I always lose time on that bloody climb! Haha I used to do the exact same thing on the finish, I'd try a sprint then start slowing down before I was officially over the line🤣. Great to see you'll be doing more 5ks in the summer, they do take a bit of practice & doing some near enough together can sometimes be a good help. You have lot's of improvements to come so enjoy the journey 😊

• Advertisement

@Laineyfrecks, you had a fab result, my god you're a speedster!!

I'll have to have a look and see what 5km races are on. SKYblue mentioned one but I forget. The brain fog, I have to say, is unreal at the moment, like so frustratingly bad.

If you remember last yearLeixlip 5km, I nearly died after that and I hated every second of it. It was very, very warm. Also, I just don't know if I'm suited to evening races. You waste energy all throughout the day with race anxiety and stressing about about what to eat and when. At least with morning races you have to just get up and get it done. Also need to look at my diet. I got quite tired at times over the last 6 weeks, even though I found the training very manageable and enjoyable, so just need to up the calories I think - who has time for all the eating though! I'm gonna follow your lead and get into the eggs I think... 😃

Thanks a mill but it's all relative really to each person😊

God, don't talk to me about brain fog(or brain fook as Klopp calls it😂), my kids are lucky if I call them by their actual names! My memory was never great, but it's gotten so bad now. Yeah, I'm with you, defo prefer a morning race. I need to look at nutrition again myself & probably need to go back to the docs, I think I may need my HRT increased, getting symptoms back that I initially got rid of or were only very minor. Oh, the joys of being a woman!! I always find my diet, rest, recovery, and fluid intake is always so good & disciplined during marathon training, so I need to try get myself back on track. I do love eggs so eating 2 or 3 a day is absolutely no problem to me, my main thing now will be trying to cut out the crap I keep eating👀

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Ah delighted that you’ve set up a log!! I really enjoyed your posts in the Novice marathon thread. Graduates now!!

well done on all your running since - great time in your 5km with still room for tweaking!

I think I'm going to go to my gp soon, I've ignored it for long enough, but I've literally fallen off a cliff in recent months, particularly with 'out of the ordinary' tiredness, nearly as bad as pregnancy tiredness. I'm thinking that it's going to start affecting my running so I really need to address it. I don't know if they'll put me on hrt as there's a family history of estrogen receptive cancer and blood clotting, but we'll see....😀

Ah so lovely to hear from you @Sunny Dayz. I must pop over to Graduates. I've not had a minute lately - lucky to get my runs in most days! I'm so glad the weather is turning. More energy, more daylight to run, more everything! 😀

So I've failed terribly thus far with this logging lark. As I knew I would.

Last week I had a great week of running, albeit the kids were off. Did some lovely sessions in the evenings. Was chasing daylight a lot but still great. Now that the hour has gone forward I don't know myself - just adore the long evenings! Kids off again this week. Also my sister is visiting from London and husband heading to Milan at weekend so it could be tricky getting my scheduled miles done. Doing avg 45km per week with a view to Bob Heffernan 5km race in May. Sure might as well give the elusive sub 24 another shot 😃.

Advertisement