Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School start time

Options
  • 12-03-2024 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭

Management changed the school start time (only by two minutes) at the start of the year.

But never told anyone. Union is absolutely no help here.

Bizarre situation. So now first class is two minutes shorter, then gives you 10minutes extra a week and seems to able to bump a good few staff into an extra class to teach in their timetable.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Hopontop

Are ye 40 minute or hour classes? I’ve heard of schools doing 58 minute classes (for every class) to get around the 40 minute professional time.

Also (sorry if I’m missing something obvious) how is 10 minutes a week giving teachers extra classes?

Apologies I can’t offer advice or suggestions but always think it’s a red flag when management do things underhandedly such as above.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Hour classes in morning, 55mins afternoon. It's working out that some teachers were just under the timetabling for an extra class (would have brought them over their allocated hours if given an extra class), still little change seems to sort that, seems awful scrooge like, I'm just annoyed or sneaky timetabling changes and no one told

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Hopontop

Oh I see, to be honest I’d have a bit of sympathy for management in that timetabling can often be a nightmare (I’d imagine doubly so for a school with classes of different lengths like yours) but agree it’s the not consulting with staff that’s really the issue.

Curious if it happened at start of the school year was it brought up in staff meetings since and what’s the general feeling amongst staff about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Are students still getting the required number of hours over the whole JC or LC cycle? If they're shaving minutes every day then it has to come out as a big loss at the total end( depending on the subject).

Union are generally useless at national head office level. I found that teachers get better traction at the local meetings... especially when elections are happening

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Students have the required hours. (Seperate changes made there in progress)

Next staff meeting is doing to be dynamite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭nachouser

In a past life, I used to work for Facility. Getting a good timetable was always a pain in the h*le.

Advertisement