Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failed teaching placement

Options
  • 12-03-2024 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Due to a combination of different reasons I failed my teaching placement and have to repeat the year. Huge knock to confidence and disappointed. I passed my visits but didn’t get admin or assignments completed as required by course provider. I’m worried this will affect job prospects and wondering how this will affect me securing a new placement to repeat ? How common is this and how do I explain this to school I did placement in and future schools. Does anyone have any advice on how to handle or discuss this with schools ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Firstly, are there situations that prevented you from submitting documentation?

Did you engage with college?

Are you sure you have to repeat the year and just the TP module?

I wouldn't worry about perspective employees - just out down the year you finished.

I would suggest reaching out to your provider and see if there is anything that be now? In the same way repeats work, could you complete your work and submit before the meeting lecturers have after repeats etc.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Chip1234

Do you think I will have difficulty securing a placement? It doesn’t look too good having to explain I’m repeating.

A combination of a few things resulting in not submitting documentation. It’s the full year I’ve to repeat. I’ve no other option but to repeat if I want to get teaching qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Judy remember your in the field of education, most teachers are understanding of family/personal circumstances as it has an influence on all our students. Principals are dealing with these every single day, also teacher personal issues too!

For school placements, just say (ONLY IF ASKED)you had to defer the year as you had to look after family member or whatever . Might be difficult to lie if it's a small rural community though.

Dust it off, don't mention it only if asked. Get back on the horse if it's something you want.

As teachers we fail in some way every single day 😂 I don't think I've ever had a day where it went 100%

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You can't change the past, so there is little point in worrying about it, it is what it is.

It is not that unusual for people to have set backs in perusing their career goals. However failing by not completing the requirements is definitely not the norm. So presumably you have a very feasible reason for this.

Assuming that to be the case, I would not describe it as a failure. I would characterise it as being unable to complete the year due to..... <whatever was the actual reason>

Good luck in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

No not at all. I assume you would be going to a new school. You're looking for TP - you don't need to explain. Going back to repeat the year shows your passion for teaching which I would call a positive. Don't be worrying about explaining the absence - life happens. You have good advice above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I'd also mention you'd be available for sub work. You'd be snapped for the repeat!!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Advertisement