Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Charlie Bird

Options
  • 12-03-2024 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭

Very sad to hear of Charlie Birds death today. May he rest in peace.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Comments

The standard to which every Irish journalist should strive to reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

A horrible disease but lord he put his best side out throughout.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I wasn't a great fan of his as a correspondent but I warmed to him greatly as he documented his struggles with MND. He showed a lot of courage and humility and did an incredible amount of work in bringing more awareness to the illness and raising a lot of money in the process.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭bikeman1

His adversity despite the massive challenges with this horrible disease right the way to the end was truly amazing. He fought the hard fight, was open and did so much for charity and help people try and understand what it is like to go go through something like that was inspiring.

May he RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

He was 70 when he was diagnosed with MND.

How crushing could that be?

Making it to 70 to be landed with that.

But fair play do him, while he was still able to he got himself out there, raising awareness and money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭gifted

RIP Charlie...you were one of the good guys.

It is evident that a lot of people are genuinely cut-up about his passing and not merely being politely respectful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I wasn't a fan of his as a journalist or correspondent but his highlighting of MND is to be applauded. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭NiceFella

He seemed like a genuine man and came across as such on camera over the many decades he was at RTE.

He showed enormous strength in illness raising money for charity. May he rest in peace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭tom23

Go gently on your way Charlie. You fought a savage fight. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I heard him on Brendan O'Connor the week before last -a recorded interview about his favourite five pieces of music. Quite emotional and I wasn't a great fan of his at all. Showed great courage in the face of one of the worse diseases you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Just remembered a lovely piece Charlie chose as one of his favourite pieces of music - I'll attach a link if I can. Elvis Presley - The Grass Won't Pay No Mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvNZWhXDPRQ

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Very sad news. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,828 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

So sad . He brought so much awareness of this cruel disease to others, may he RIP .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So sad.

He never gave up even with this cruel disease he kept fighting.

He is at peace now.

Rest In Peace Charlie

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So sad.

He never gave up even with this cruel disease he kept fighting.

He is at peace now.

Rest In Peace Charlie

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

This man was one of the finest journalists within this era. He had a huge wealth of talent and work ethic that no other journalist would be able to match within this country. He truly was a one of a kind human being. Life can be so cruel sometimes when an illness like MND can hit you so quickly. It can hit you like a truck when you get it at first; but Charlie fought that battle with an honesty, with dignity and a sense of bravery that left us all in amazement. RIP Charlie Bird. You will be greatly missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well hopefully some of the money he and others have raised leads to a cure for this most wretched of diseases. My deepest sympathies to anyone who has or knows of a someone close to them with MND. RIP Charlie Bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

What is it with Charlie Bird's journalism that some people on here weren't a "fan" of. As far as I'm aware, Bird took his RTE News assignments seriously and reported on them as required. There's nothing in his reporting that one can either be a "fan" of or not. I can't say that I remember every single thing about Bird's reportage, but I found nothing wrong with his coverage of the events he was responsible for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

Sad, another voice associated with my younger years gone. His reporting from the North during the 90's was excellent. Funny, I always associate him with Leaving Cert results time. He used to be rolled out every year as an example of someone who had done well without a Leaving Cert!!

To get that diagnosis at 70........he could have withered away in private but he choose to publicise his condition and help raise money for charity, and for that he should be applauded. It can't have been easy at times to be so active when so ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

RIP Charlie. He had a great nose for a story and was very professional and hard working. Tough few years. He will be missed.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

That diagnosis is horrible for anyone but to be a young, fit, energetic 70 year old who had such vigour and love of life and people..... it's very cruel in particular.

He really showed his strength and character over the last couple of years with how he handled it and tried to help others.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Very sad... Great respect for Charlie as a journalist.

Always went for the story, no matter who was involved.

Loved him chasing David Drumm in the US !

He never gave up on the Stardust families and they would credit him with the media attention he brought to the disaster when so many in political circles wanted it brushed under the carpet .

What a cruel horrible illness but he faced into it in his inimitable positive way .

He will be missed .

Rest in Peace , Charlie Bird .

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Treated CJ Haughy aptly and spoke to him like the scoundrel Charlie was with his unique "Taoiseach..." call.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

An outstanding reporter but judging by the way he carried himself throughout a really horrific illness, an even better man. RIP Charlie.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

RIP Charlie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Poor Charlie. I never felt he was the same after been beaten up by three thugs / rioters in Dublin about 18 years ago, when he was kicked and punched and knocked to the ground while being called an "Orange bastard", before being rescued by the Garda SDU officers. I think that had some effect on him, he was clearly very shaken and was hospitalised.

Advertisement