Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

5 Months Waiting

Options
  • 11-03-2024 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Looking for a little advice from those who may have gone through something similar

I bout a new car in july 22, brand new, no problems 3 year warranty on the new car,

in october 23 it stopped on the motorway, called the number on the dash car was picked up, i made my own way home,

now 11th march 23 still waiting on the vehicle to be repaired, delayed parts, wrong parts, no parts , its in the main dealer wher i bought the vehcile and its not looking like ill ever see it, still paying for it and tax will be 5 months gone,

Anyone ever come across similar? Had any real outcomes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Buffman

Ye, I've had a similar case in the recent past in the extended family with a brand new car they only got 3ish months out of. After months of similar saga it went on for so long that she had the rental 'courtesy' car for so long that it ended up needing servicing and tyres and they expected her to pay for it.

It was eventually sorted by them offering her another new car or a refund, it had gone on so long that it was a year younger reg but still a lot of hassle.

Always remember your consumer rights apply to cars also in this situation.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭useless

You have the patience of a saint. I'd have demanded a new car after a month waiting.

I would set up a meeting with the dealer principal, tell him you want a new car, and if he says no then escalate to the distributor in Ireland. Copy the head of distribution/sales/dealer networks for Europe/Global on that correspondence- an hour on LinkedIn will probably get you a name.

Alternatively, contact your solicitor if your meeting with the dealer principal doesn't go anywhere. Either way, a 5 month delay is utterly unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Casati

Have they given you a replacement car of similar quality? If they have then although annoying the positive is that your own car hasn’t put up any mileage while they have had it. I would be kicking up a fuss at this stage mind

• Registered Users Posts: 6 djt17

Hi Useless thanks for that , i know im far too patient ,I have tried the main distributors in Dublin and all i get from them is , manufactures delay, the main distributor ordered the wrong injector pump, 3 instead of 4 injectors and expects the dealer to reuse gaskets and parts that are single use only im at a loss , ill try the European/global as you recommended and see if that goes anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭beachhead

You have waited too long.Complain to the Irish distributor of your car.I had an issue with a car it broke down 3 times in the first year.Turned out to be an airlock in gearbox but I refused to take it back after 3rd failure.I was offered the same model new car or a similar but different marque from the dealer on instructions from the distributor.I met with the distributor who apologised to me personally.You have to be persistent.Sendva letter/email allow 5 days response then call until answered Repeat process.Then personal visit to head office

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Buffman

I assume you've been provided with a free replacement vehicle? Just the way you said you made your own way home sounds like you didn't get one?

They are completely BSing you with all those excuses now, the post Covid parts shortages are long gone now and any part can be gotten express delivery if required, even if they have to pull it from the production line or manufacturer directly.

Are you on social media? If so, post your story on all their accounts and ask how are they going to resolve it.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,889 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Your consumer rights are Repair, Replacement or Refund. The repair should be permanent and in a reasonable time frame. 5 months isn't reasonable so you need to start pushing for a Replacement or Refund, they had the chance to repair it in a reasonable time and didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭GavPJ

What make of car is it?

Hi Buffman , had to organise collection from the filling station which is about 45 - 50mins away from home, wait for the person to collect me and drop me home that night, not the next day but the day after that i had to collect the courtesy car, but that wasnt anything hectic

• Advertisement

I've tried the distributor is a shambles from what i can gather, between failing to order parts, e.g. 3 injectors instead of the 4 requested, or sending the wrong parts, and ordering the wrong diesel pump completely , creating another 3 - 5 week delay , emails eventually get answered , but a very much a fob off with no definite answers or even if a date is provided theirs no expectation for anything to arrive on time

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭GavPJ

Thanks. What dealer is it with? I might know someone.

PM it to me if you want.

Ive tried a couple of different routes today see what happens, thanks for the offer GavPJ might have to take you up on it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

If your current approach doesn’t work, I would be engaging a competent solicitor and be looking for compensation at this stage from the manufacturer or distributor.

Focus on the most senior person you can find and make it their problem, literally make them wake up thinking about fixing your problem.

2 months would be too much, 5 is absurd.

Advertisement