Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Praying in Primary School

Options
  • 11-03-2024 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

We have our 5yo daughter opted out of religion. It's a small primary school in the NW.

Generally going well until she came home rhyming off a prayer at the weekend. I understand that she will pick things up, as its a small school, but I found out there are three prayers a day!? (morning , lunch and home-time) Is this normal?

I went to school in the 90's and don't remember praying during school (although I could have blocked this from my memory!)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Yes, that's quite usual. The prayers would be very short. If you'd prefer her not to say the prayer, you could explain in an age appropriate way that your family doesn't pray. She's only repeating a rhyme, to her mind, so talk to her, if you feel you need to. Your family's values will be the most important thing in all aspects of her life.

I remember in the 90s being in a small rural school. I had two COI boys in the class. They obviously didn't take part in religion class. In those days, children had to learn off questions and answers and an inspector would come to examine the children.The two children were hopping in their seats giving every answer !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Had family members in a catholic school who didn't do religion. They came home after a few weeks happily telling their parents the prayers they learned and showing them how to bless themselves

One of the joys of being in an ethos school

My lads are in primary and secondary. Didn't do it in primary but as it's more general are doing it in secondary. I took a look at the secondary book this evening. It's all quiet good stuff giving them a world view and getting them to think about ethos, morality and life in general

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭pooch90

Yep, morning prayer, grace before meals, after meals and evening prayer are meant to be routine part of the day. Some older classes will also whack in the Angelus as well.

My kids are opted out too (senior infants and 1st class) and could probably rhyme these off as well as 'the god people' (as they call them!)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Crakepottle?

Retired Primary school teacher here . I recall children who embraced Ramadan devoutly and sang the First Communion hymns with equal enthusiasm.

Advertisement