Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk of redundancy letter

Options
  • 10-03-2024 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭

Got my letter on Thursday and have another meeting next week. They told me I can come back with reasons if I think my role should not be made redundant.

My department off a few people got this letter and my question is - "Am I trying to justify the company saving all the people or am I just speaking on my behalf to try and get kept on"?

I hope I'm making sense.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The latter, everyone will be writing for themselves. Decide on whether you will get much redundancy and are employable elsewhere as well, might not be worth staying if you are elsewise employable and the company is already making redundancies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Delta2113

They have already shifted work offshore (labour much cheaper) after terminating a contract with a 3rd party but trying to make out that has nothing to do with it yet for the last few month's I have been training these people online.

I'm too expensive basically for them but they just won't come out and admit that. My job would be considered 'back office' which is never valued by companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Ted222

If your job is going, then the question is what else can you offer.

In redundancy situations where jobs are no longer required to be done, employers are required to look at alternatives to letting staff go. From what you’re saying, it sounds like you’re also being asked to consider alternative uses for your talents.

It may be a genuine attempt to identify alternatives or it may just be a tick the box exercise that gives the company cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

99% tick the box exercise to comply with legislation

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Ugh, I hate this Elon Musk BS of making your employees justify their positions as if they love working there so much and will jump through any hoop to keep going.

One particularly mean method was taking a team of 5 and cutting it to 4 and making them all interview for the "new" positions

My advice, you might as well assume your job is toast and start looking now. Even if you survive this round of redundancies, it's clear your work isn't deemed essential and so will likely be targeted for further redundancies

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

In that case it is an opportunity to sell yourself to the company as being able to add value in some other way. Perhaps you have some insight into a way you could add value to the company by some other means, if you have then this is your opportunity to shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭herbalplants

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

We could do with a bit of this type of management in many branches of the public service.

Get value for money, focus on who is needed and what roles they should play. Cut out excess.

Every organisation whether private or public can do with pruning and shaping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Until Musk took over, it didn't seem like many of the twits did much, if anything at all. A lot of iced frappé and vegan slogans rather than any focus on any actual work. A company exists to offer a product and/or service while turning a profit. Staff are expensive and if a position is not necessary now, or in the near future, that position should be cut, especially if it's easy to replace later. It's not an Elon Musk thing, it's a smart business thing.

I agree that the OP should consider their role toast. However, if they want to stay in the company, they might offer to be a team lead for the cheaper employees coming online. That way the company has a local onsite person who can manage the backroom stuff abroad.

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭noahungry

Sorry to hear about getting a letter of this type. Yeah, I agree, I think you should be writing/speaking for yourself. And this could be your angle, actually, the team lead, since you trained these people. Good luck at the meeting. 

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Jobs being cut isn't the issue I had, it's this idea that employees can be forced to fight over their jobs like the hunger games. If a company wants to get rid of staff, then there are far more respectful ways to do it

Also, redundancy isn't necessarily smart business, it's also because management f**ked up. How many times have companies rapidly expanded for some new venture only for it to not pan out and now they're stuck with a costly R&D project?

What's the quickest way to turn the balance sheet positive? Fire a bunch of staff, it's been happening a lot in the gaming industry over the past year, plus tech companies downsizing before that

Seems more like compulsive gambling than growth strategy, except they're playing double or nothing with people's jobs

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 19,063 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

They'd likely have to hire more managers to run the scheme. And give the staff a week's break from their normal duties to allow them to write their letters.

Re Twitter: Nobody was being forced to fight. You make it sound like they were handed bows and arrows and sent to fight in the arena. If they wanted to stay at Twitter, they could show their worth and that they were actually ready and willing to work. If they weren't bothered enough, they could take their humanities and sociology degrees and apply for work elsewhere. Necessary staff remained in their roles. The huge amount of staff who had no actual work to do was beyond a joke.

Redundancy is smart business when the roles are no longer needed. The reasons for no longer needing the roles filled are irrelevant to the current and medium term business needs. Business is always a risk and a gamble whether doing something, or nothing. Not every business has a crystal ball and often needs to make choices and take a risk/gamble by taking on more staff to meet a demand. When these risks don't pan out, then yes, firing staff is often the best way to keep the business from running a deficit and going under where everyone loses their job.

If you choose a volatile industry, you as an individual share in the risk that you might be left without a job at any time. No industry or company is truly safe, but others bare more risk and should be well considered before applying.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 11,524 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Smart business isn't to obliterate half the companies value since buying it.

Though I agree with the other people's comments. Nothing the OP has posted here, suggests that there is any long term future there.

"...Necessary staff remained in their roles..."

Nope he fired critical people then had to go ask them to come back.

Usually when management teams fire the wrong people they won't admit the mistake, and the company suffers as a result.

Nothing more less reassuring than someone admitting they are clueless about a business by asking "what is it you do". It's one of those questions that tells you they won't understand the answer.

https://youtu.be/XFhpctuUwb4?si=2XM5eQ3yD4xTkX1R

As others have said being asked the question is all the information you need...

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭GHendrix

The same thing happened to me a few years back. When the HR girl asked me for reasons why I should stay or how to support me I just laughed at her and told her to get on with it.

Then I enjoyed some down time on the Pup payment and got a better job.

I thought it was closer to an obliteration rate of 70% 😂

An acquisition by a politically right individual was always going to upset the nest at twitter in fairness. It was crazy for Musk to buy it.

There were so many useless people embedded in the company, there was bound to be some critical losses in the hatchet job. It was definitely done way too quickly and lacked any finesse.

Ignoring the corporate ad revenue fall-out from various virtue signalling companies (of which 90% returned last year), you have to wonder what twitter staff were doing if about 80% were fired and the company is scheduled to see profit this year.

Stay Free

People don't create their own jobs. They are doing what they were hired to do. From my probably wrong understanding. Basically whole chunks of functionality and internal processes just no longer function, because there is no left to do that work or knows how it works. For example closed down a data centre then had outages as a result.

Hard to claim he's turned it around when it's taken 20 steps backwards and two forward. The only reason it's been able to survive such disastrous management decisions is that it's sheer size allows it to absorb massive body blows. But at enormous cost.

In these situations as the op finds themselves the company is on a downward spiral. You need to milk the situation. Get as much out of it, wages, training, references, that you need to get you to the next job.

• Advertisement

Had a meeting and yes getting made redundant. They are paying me Pay in lieu of notice so I could be gone soon. When can I claim Jobseeker's Benefit?

Info here...

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social-welfare/unemployed-people/jobseekers-benefit/

You could possibly apply in advance but the first day for which you’re entitled is the day after the last date for which you’re being paid.

So say I'm finishing work on April 12 and I am getting 8 weeks Pay instead of notice plus five days untaken holidays - do I sign on April 15?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,684 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes.

But only if you've not got another job by then.

You could possibly sign on them but you may not get paid for the eight weeks for which you’re being paid. It might depend on the date of termination that’s on the various documentation that’s provided.

The letter I have to sign mentions clearly "Termination Date" - April 12.

A friend reckons based on his experience I will get 232 euro per week from 13/04/2024. He reckons I'll collect money initially on Monday 22/04/2024 and then every Wednesday in local post office.

I will have to sign on probably the following week in a Intreo office. Do they pay on a Monday as it's the first payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭wandererz

The first 3 working days are not counted.

Depending on how quickly they process, you should be able to collect on Wednesday 17th for a week. Then every Wednesday after that.

Or on Monday 15th for the Thursday and Friday, then on Wednesday 17th for Mon 15th - Wed 17th.

Then €232 every Wednesday from the 24th.

You have until the Friday to collect if you cannot make Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭wandererz

Don't go overboard with the jobseekers payments unless you absolutely have to.

Because they are considered taxable.

So, I if by the end of the year you have collected X thousands in JSB, you will have to declare it together with the rest of your earnings during the year and pay tax on it at whatever rate you are taxable at for the year.

Advertisement