Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would a complete layman be able to manage the install of a combi-box?

Options
  • 10-03-2024 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I’m looking to use my existing sky dish to get the Freesat channels and install a combi box that has HD and can record. I have seen from a few threads people recommending the Zgemma H7 but then they start talking about Linus, EPG, splitters, etc.. and I get completely lost.

Does a step-by-step installation guide exist that a layperson could follow? (I’d consider myself decent with tech but nowhere near the levels of people on here!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I would say yes. Granted I AM biased,😉 but it is well within the skills of any DIYer who is comfortable with tech. By far the most tricky part of any install is aiming the dish and you say you have that already. Like any new topic, it's easy to get overwhelmed by the jargon. Although I can't name a step-by-step guide off the top of my head, companies like freetv.ie have some videos directly aimed at the Irish market. On first startup, the box runs a wizard to guide you through the basic setup of your network (if connected) and scanning for channels.

The two main things to consider when switching from an existing Sky install are:-

1. Was it using Sky Q. If it was you may need to swap out the LNB, the thingy on the dish arm. Only some boxes are compatible with Sky Q. Mechanically, it is a straight swap. Just do not move the dish itself.

2 You will need a conventional Saorview aerial. If you are near to your local Saorview mast, you might get away with an internal set top aerial. Outdoor ones are recommend. This will help you decide. https://saorview.ie/en/check-coverage/

Again, like anything else, you can make it as complex as you like beyond that if you have greater needs or ambitions E.G. multi-room and so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 clashoftheash1

Thanks for the reply.

This dish was installed at least 15 years ago and we haven’t had sky for 10 years so would that mean it would be one or the other in terms of sky Q?

That website says I’m 28km away from the saorview satellite.

Would you recommend the Zgemma H7 yourself? (I’m looking for one that has good UI, HD and can record)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I've been running a Zgemma H7S*** as my main box for several years now without issue. They are actually 4K compatible although there isn't anything available in 4K for free right now. You can record multiple shows at once if needed.

*** If you decide to purchase, be sure it is the H7S model. There are other versions that may not be suitable for the Irish market.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Saorview transmitter. Which one?

A dish that old will have a legacy universal LNB on the dish arm. The question is after all this time would it still be functional and likewise the cable from the dish?

Not SkyQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

A different make, and 5 years old but this YouTube video gives a flavour of the Enigma 2 software. From 19 minutes in the video. The software is called an Image in the jargon, which confused me back in the day. There are different versions, and they are updated often, but they are basically the same.

The installation Wizard gives a step by step for the process. Get the box tuned in first for TV channels and then there is a whole world of other stuff which can be done gradually after that. Look on YouTube for other videos as well, and on Google. And the dedicated Zgemma H7S thread has over 2000 posts.

Probably the need for recording would rule out using the TV on its own. With the aerial and the satellite cable plugged in directly (if it has a satellite tuner compatible with the LNB). But before getting a box you could get familiar with what the TV can offer using the menus on the remote.

• Advertisement

According to that website my transmitter is Woodcock Hill, West 291 degrees.

I’d be 99% sure the satellite works because there was some form of Freesat not too long ago, I just have no idea how it was done. Had very little functionality mind.

Out of interest if my dish is setup correctly what difference does it make to the unit which of the two it is? Are there different functions with each?

Thanks man. If my dish is still operating correctly is it a case of buy my combi unit, plug it in and follow these instructions as best I can?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Yes, and the instructions in the video are given in written form by CalamariFritti above. You will learn by doing. If it all looks too daunting you could get a box which does not use the Enigma 2 firmware. But it won't have nearly as much possibility for customising your choices. Plenty of videos in this link showing how those type of boxes work.

https://www.freetv.ie/amiko-mini-combo/

Between Calamari’s written instructions and the video I’d imagine I’d get it going.

It looks like knowing if my Sky dish and Saorview are ready for the unit is the main issue for me now.

(I realise now my earlier question as to why it matters what satellite I have was a bit stupid because I was told I’d need to adapt the older one!)

I take it I have to buy a hard drive as well? Any recommendations? (I see ideally it would be USB 3 which I just found out is a thing)

Any recommended sellers for the Zgemma H7S?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭swoofer

Can you tell me the mke and model of your ttv? I have a spare zgemma h7s all set up and ready to go with 4 images on, its like new ie hardly used. its got 128gb ssd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

If you buy a zgemmahs7 you will ideally want an internal SATA hard drive not an external USB drive. It's tidier as in not another box dangling off it and it's faster, better everything. A SATA SSD like these will be perfect and make zero noise.

Samsung: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Factor-Intelligent-Magician-Software/dp/B08PC43D78

No-name: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fanxiang-S101-Internal-Compatible-Desktops/dp/B0B5CH6B2L

The 1TB versions will be a little dearer.

From experience 1 hour of HD recording from the satellite comes out at 3.15GB. Let's say 3.2GB. So a 500GB gives you roughly 150 hours of HD recordings.

I bought my zgemma at freesat.ie. No matter where you buy in Ireland it will be in around €200. Some of the UK prices seem a lot lower (£99) but this has been discussed here - once you're done with currency conversion, shipping, import VAT and import admin fees you wont get much change from €200 either. Maybe €20 maybe not even that.

Irish shops will sell you bundles with hard drive included but I would make sure it's an SSD not an 'old school' mechanical hard drive if you go for that. I tried an old hard drive I had to spare and they make noises from vibration in the zgemma and that was a nono for me since the thing is in the bedroom.

Couldn’t tell you the model until I get home but it’s a slightly old LG.

I kinda want to see this through now and get it done myself but how much do you want for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭Shoog

You might want to consider changing your sat dish, 15year is fairly much end of life and the cheap sky dishes tend to rust. Take the opportunity to go for a slightly bigger dish as this is important for the weaker transponders which carry channels such as talking pictures.

Last time I tuned a dish I used one of the free sat ranger apps on my android phone, took less than 10mins and has been perfect since. Usually takes hours.

Thanks man. Appreciate it.

I think the last thing I need to sort out is the Saorview antenna that was mentioned and maybe that LNG for the dish if I need it.

Is there a way I can tell how I’m currently setup for these or what I’ll be required to do to get it working?

I know the dish is the receiver for Freesat but I don’t even know what a Saorview receiver would look like.

It's a special TV aerial for digital signals. Used just like a normal aerial.

For Woodcock Hill a Group K UHF aerial is what you need for saorview

https://www.freetv.ie/grey-group-k-uhf-aerial/

The LNB on the dish may be ok as it was used recently enough for Freesat, test it out before doing anything else.

Just an ordinary UHF aerial required, the aerial is blind to the content carried.

A soarview aerial is just a normal looking aerial, like this.

AFAIK (but not 100% sure) it needs to be pointing in a certain direction which depends on where you live. All the ones in my estate are looking like this and are pointing in the same direction anyway.

But tbh I know my way around software and bits but for that I just got the local 'aerial/dish/telly man' to do it. I wasnt going to climb up on my roof and mess around with that. On the upside he took down a lot of old aerials that were no use to anyone only to the crows. I just have this yoke on a pole next to the chimney now and the old sky dish by the side of the house. A lot tidier. He ran this aerial into the attic and from there it connects to a box that was already there for the old UHF/VHF stuff which then runs more cables into the individual rooms. Def'ny a telly man job IMO. Cant remember what I paid him but I dont think it was all that much - €150 or €200 or so.

Depending on where you live you may get away with something smaller. Like an indoor version or so.

All put together it may sound like a few bob at this point - zgemma box, hard disk, dish/lnb upgrade, saorview aerial - but considering what you save every month over Sky its all money well spent.

Post edited by CalamariFritti on

I don’t have one of those aerials fixed to the house so is it possible it’s lying down in an attic somewhere unbeknownst to me? If so would that not do the same job?

• Advertisement

I haven't said this earlier because I’m pretty sure it’ll sound stupid but my internet plan finishes at the end of month and Sky broadband with TV is only €12.50 a month dearer than the next cheapest broadband-only plan I can get. So I’m thinking of getting that deal, have them provide and setup a new dish for free, get the combi box going in the other TV room and in a year get rid of sky and get another combi box setup in that room.

I’ll be sure to request a new dish like and say the old one always gave problems. It’s probably wasting money but at least it should save me making a hames of it.

It's possible, the issue can be the roof structure weakening the signal, so if depends on what the signal quality is like where you place the aerial in the attic.

If too weak the aerial will have to be mounted outside.

I'm not clear what you're saying. Are you saying you do have saorview or had saorview at some point but just not sure where its coming from?

There starting to replace sat with IpTV streaming so they may not offer a sat install. Worth asking though.

I have Saorview but I don’t know where the antenna is as it’s not mounted outside.

Unless you need to run another cable it doesnt really matter where it is as long as it works.

For my broadband Sky just told me that because all the fibre ports are being used on my nearest hub, I can’t switch to them because it’ll mean Vodafone will be losing out on a port even though all I have to do is switch the box in the house like I’ve done every year for the last 5 years. Some load of dung.

So it looks like I’ll be setting up the satellite myself afterall…

Advertisement