Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

seeking a SSD for HP 15-BS162sa laptop

Options
  • 09-03-2024 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

hi all,

seeking a SSD for HP 15-BS162sa laptop, currently has a HDD which is slow. Looking at Samsung Evo but dont know available SSD type options since 2 Upgrade Scanners give slightly different options. Crucial shows 2.5 inch SATA SSDs, whilst Mr Memory shows them as well as M2 SATA. 2TB would be probably what size im looking for unless a 4TB was "better value".

Any suggestions etc please

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

if original drive is HDD, it will be 2.5 SATA, no way you can fit m.2 drive there without adapter , however, even with adapter it would be pointless as you wont achieve NVMe speeds over adapter anyway.

This leave you with any 2.5 SATA SSD option, size and brand of your choice, your laptop will die(or will be slow to use, its already old) before you consume new drive lifetime

Have to correct myself here.

Come across same laptop model and , wow - it does have m.2 interface build-in (still - SATA only, not NVMe)
    So you have options re drive format, but speeds will be the same(anyway better than HDD)

Disassembly and replacement procedure here

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭HPMan

cool, i shall look to buy a m2 sata and a ssd, which would be best to load Windows onto and which to use as a data drive? cheers for your reply

Speed will be same on both, more or less.

You mention huge size drive requirement for laptop - what is the need driving this?

Depend on intended computer use you could:

Have ~120GB m.2 for your OS and programs, then big 2.5 SSD for your storage.

As per my usage sample on desktop PC, i have SSD dedicated to OS/programs only (currently is 1TB but looking to downgrade , when get time to go about)

All my DATA (including Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Videos, etc, etc) are on 6TB storage (RAID config) Windows have feature to redirect location to other drive(s)
    Some other stuff that require bit of speed are offloaded to other SSD's (virtual servers/PC's, etc)
    So in case my C:\ drive goes bust, i don't have to worry* about data recovery, even before OS restore from backup i can have access to data should i need it quick.

*Anyhow, backup is must if you value your data

Post edited by smuggler.ie on

Advertisement