Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford Half Marathon/Fast Lane Half Marathon

Options
  • 09-03-2024 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi all,

Targeting a decent half marathon in April/May and looking at Wexford or Fast Lane.

Would love to hear opinions on either as reports I’ve found seem to be a few years old and have heard a few different second hand issues. Issues I’ve heard is Fast Lane is laps of an industrial estate. Wexford is hilly.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Wexford is hilly but the last 6k or so at end of the wexford is quick. I havent done fastlane, last I heard to you had to navigate a gate on the course which has always put me off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Running Fool

Thanks for that. When you say hilly, would you say the course is one with a few climbs, or lots of heavy duty climbs. Just can’t find an elevation profile anywhere.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭py

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭TheRef

I ran the Fast Lane Half last year and its not one I would rush out to do again. After about 2km, there was a guy trying to get through a packed field on a narrow enough path that so much for being a "Fast" lane. It opened up once we got off the canal onto the main roads though.It was also uneasy running across the bridge over the canal, particularly on the first lap as it bounced heavily with so many people. You put your foot down and the bridge would drop a little just before contact. The medal is literally the worst of my collection. Non descript small circular.

On the plus side, its pretty flat apart from the bridge. Most of the run is along the canal. Parking close by. If you can manage to start at the right spot, it could be a PB run, probably...

I did the Glendalough half the day before and it was one of my favorite runs. Definitely tough as first half is all uphill and steep towards the top but a brilliant experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 bullethead

I've run the so called fast lane half..as poster above says,bit of sh1t show along the canal and once you hit the main road you have to cross too many junctions that don't have enough marshals...also I would give any race organised by Bear events a miss,over priced and badly run...just my opinion though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

So I ran both over the years!

Wexford half is an ok course, there is a hilly section to Johnstown Castle but its not a killer hill. Once out side the castle it speeds up, go by St Martin's gaa and down hill till you hit the Rosslare Rd. Rosslare Rd can be fast or hard, depending on the wind direction!!

Fastlane I did the 10k, and alot of it, is on my normal running route.

Small Drag the canal start and up and over the foot bridges and over the canal bridge. After that it speeds up unless the wind is against you. You stay outside the industrial estate but the ground is a bit dug up at the moment. Once on to the link road its fast, wind nearly always behind you.

As for the medals, I never take the medals, I know some people collect them and that is fair enough.

Advertisement