Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Aontu have canidates to vote for in next election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,390 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Unless their children go on to work for the British government then killing them is fair game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭amacca

One possibility ...Up to six people at this point hold similarly misguided and foolish opinions...

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Seamus4life

Does Leo varadkhar support legalised prostitution?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,002 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I don't think any politician does.

Why would you want to legalise women being abused and trafficked?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Seamus4life

If your argument is a woman should have the right and control of her body, surely you must concede their are legitimate women and men who might want to make money selling theirs ? Seems quite paternalistic to assume all prostitutes are damsels in distress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,002 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There might be some, but most right thinking people would think more would be forced or coerced into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭Damien360

If you don't vote, you have absolutely no right to complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

What have the british govt got to do with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,390 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Tobin is only pro life when it suits him. He ain't very pro life when it comes to British citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

The party in general are never going to gain any real traction, for a multitiude of reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Most right thinking people would base their opinion on evidence. So they wouldn't "think" they would know. So what evidence did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BagofWeed

A broken clock is right twice a day. In my hometown the two main Aontu lads were too nutty for Sinn Fein and they were ignored and jumped ship to Aontu when it was formed, the candidate himself isn't too bad but he thinks Ireland should be the way it was in the late 80' early 90's as it's really all he knows, same kind of guy who wouldn't really like or trust you if you weren't from his area or of a similar background.

His right hand man is an absolute racist prick, a great sportman but was close to suicidal because he could never advance past the local or minor county level, acts like he was the only person to ever have depression, so people in the locality who act up or have serious addiction issues out of untreated depression/mental health issues are just seen as scum by him as he doesn't even have the brain capacity to see the similarity.

Forgot to mention they are both anti abortion, the latter fiercely so despite both being male.

Not a fan of it myself but it's a necessary evil and there are numerous valid reasons to keep it legal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

By that wonky transitive logic, the majority of the population must reject abortion then? Of course not, Aontú reflect nothing except their own positions, and in this case it was one shared with the population - they didn't "represent" anything. The fallout has made it clear enough there's a frustration with the wording and badly organised campaign; certainly I see no credible suggestions its a conservative backlash.

And given the calibre of their people across the country, mixed with aforementioned unpopular positions on items like abortion, they're not some simmering party ready to become kingmakers; if you support them fair enough but one swallow doesn't make a summer.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Haven't heard the Cork offering from aontu, it sounds distinctly like they'ren gonna be running absolutely unhinged personalities. So they'll struggle to get many seats in a general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

In 2019, he, Carol Nolan, Mattie McGrath and Sinn Fein voted for a PBP to restore birthright citizenship, where children born to bogus asylum seekers (anchor babies) will be given automatic citizenship. It's a hard pass for me.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/vote/dail/32/2019-01-24/12/

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

To be honest, I think Aontu are really the party to vote for. FFG, Sinn Fein, Labour, SoDems, etc. are all now the one disgusting homongenous blob with exactly the same policies and outlook. In any upcoming elections, for me anyway it will be either Aontu or any anti-immigration candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

The Aontú councillor in my area is very good at a local level, but I doubt I’d vote for them nationally. Too far left economically, too far right culturally.

It would depend on what else is on offer though.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭purifol0

Soc Dems getting absolutely roasted on facebook. Immediately after the ref preliminary counts they were bashing the govt. Pretty much all comments noted that they were all for a Yes vote and a few more that said their credibility is now in the bin.

I prefer voting for people over parties - allegiances change - and I encourage others to do the same. In that regard Peadar Toibín is a decent skin and an honest politician irrespective that I disagree with him on a few key issues. I rather honest debate and a respectful difference of opinion than the slimy media trained lot we currently have lying to us.

Voting Aontu as a party though, nope.

So you would subject Womens right to choose based on the opinions of the "right thinkers".

Edit, its funny how women may be coerced into sex work is a reason to make the whole thing illegal, but women being coerced into having abortions isn't.

Which do you think happens more often in Ireland eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I have a family member who ran for Aontu, I would never vote for him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Which do you think happens more often in Ireland eh?

Got proof of women being "coerced" into abortions? Pretty wild claim and swing

Neither would be vast majority of the population going by elections, backed by polls, but the thread's less a conversation and more an unpaid Party Political Broadcast for yet another irrelevant (socially) right wing party.

I am certain that the next GE will return 3-4 new TD's of a right wing party, at the expense of FFG.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Cody montana

All these fringe parties never go anywhere.

Irish people are set in their ways and will vote for the big name parties.

Based on what polling? None of the socially right leaning parties have made any significant strides, Aontú about as good as it has got and the calibre of non-Toibín candidates pretty horrendous if not outright toxic for the party. Maybe a clatter of right winger independents, sure that's always a crapshoot, but there's no indication Aontú are some sleeping dragon. More a one man show plus local ideological detritus.

These referendums have shown us polling is an utter joke. I base my claim that there will be 3-4 new right wing TD's on this. I see on social media at least 2 (I will not name) who are having a real groundswell of support in terms of followers and online traction, as well as physical crowds when they speak. These same people have essentially been campaigning for about 18 months already in their local areas and have tapped into deep frustration with the government on issues like immigration and housing. I certainly can see some of these people mounting a very strong campaign and with a very real prospect of getting elected.

Oh dear. Sounds like someone doesn't talk to women or know their history. Coercion and pressure does not mean they ended up having one. Men who were about to become fathers and didn't want to be have done this since time immemorial. When abortion wasn't an easy option, the parents of young pregnant women sent them to mother and baby homes.

And the reason this coercion and pressure to have an abortion exists as opposed to prostitution is because the former is now completely legal while the other is completely unnecessary because of the welfare state, and indeed the bit in the constitution we just voted on!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Peadar Toibin just announced running in Connacht/Ulster/Midlands in Euros.

He is going to romp home.

He will pick up votes from all parties I believe.

So just a number you made up. You cant appropriate the result of a referendum whose wording was a foundational problem for many, as somehow indicative of overall support for a party. That's not how it works; not least because with a national election nobody's gonna remember how a party sat during a ref that curried neither interest or support.

I didn't ask about Mother and Baby Homes, I asked about abortions: how many coerced abortions, since the 8th was repealed, have their been? Your post seemed to imply some dark side effects of the availability of abortion. If not, then fair enough.

• Advertisement

Regaring my comment, I never suggested a correlation between the referendum result and a GE result. I made reference to how polling is not reliable anymore. I'm simply giving my opinion that I am confident that there will be at least some new TD elected who will come from a right-wing background. It's not scientific, it's an opinion. It's an easy prediction to make given the huge unrest in certain communties these days, and groundswell of support certain right-wing personalities are having.

Advertisement