Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Router issues

Options
  • 08-03-2024 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Hi, I did try to rekindle and old thread but had no traction so please forgive the repeat question.

I have recently been having regular internet dropouts on my Vodafone FTTC (100mb) service, using their Vodafone Gigabox router. I have been with them for 4 years or so with the occasional issue, but it’s been very stable.

Their ‘advisors’ are now telling me that’s it because I have more than 32 devices and it’s not my line. However, I can find only scant details on this 32-device limit, so I am just wondering … Is this an actual thing? Is it for Wi-Fi only connections or does it include hard wired and wireless devices in combination?

Being aware that I have a lot of devices (all the usual laptops, tablets, IOT bulb etc). I purchased a wireless mesh system (Deco X50) but I only configured the mesh system to broadcast the Wi-Fi and switched the Wi-Fi off on the router. The Vodafone router is handling the DCHP. This has been working for at least a year.

After the most recent spell of dropouts, I reset the router, disconnected everything and have slowly been adding devices back on to the system but I am still well below the 32-device limit. It’s held very steady for a few days (but it has held up for more than this before, so still testing).

My final question is would any other provider modems be better (e.g. Eir) in terms of handling devices as my contract is up at the end of the month so could change.

Any advice/information welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I found the Gigabox to be garbage. You should look at replacing it and taking it out of the equation completely

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭sean72

I would absolutely consider this but I am not an expert with these things and finding step by step solutions is difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭Shoog

Vodafone do not facilitate using an alternative router and even discourage it. They will not provide the necessary account details to make this easy so it's a hit and miss affair to getting layman's advice on how to set it up.

Vodafone's router is broken by design in that it forces you to use their DNS servers. Garbage and highly restrictive if you want to use your own DNS ad filtering.

I would never use Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭NSAman

Have to agree about the Vodafone routers, absolute garbage. Would much prefer to use the orbi we have attached as a direct router. From what I hear, they don’t really allow that.

Router resets are common place in our house, speed drops, lack or response etc. Orbi has worked flawlessly in other locations with better response times and many more devices attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Wasn’t sure about that.

@sean72 Have you any other providers available to you? Do you only need internet or do you get phone and or tv too?

Have you entered your eircode into switcher.ie to see what options you have?

• Advertisement

Eir is much more relaxed about freedom to change your router and DNS, but I think their own router is still fairly much garbage that suffers from dropouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Just few notes

32 device limit usually apply to WiFi connections, some other claim x64, if router cannot handle Eth connections above that - its really crap.

As you have deco and wifi disabled on VF , then from VF prospective deco is one Eth connected device with heavy traffic - should not fall in 32limit, however mind DHCP still served here and VF support can see it

deco state over 150 device support, but dont seem to explicitly specify is it is wifi or total(hope not). convenient for them there

deco has its own DHCP and you could try using it instead VF, leaving VF to solely serve as modem and firewall

Yeah there are a number available, Eir, Pure, Sky and Digiweb. If any of them offered easy set up of an alternative router that would be good to know

Thanks, I think once I do my testing and make sure it's not the line itself, and it is a router specific issue. I will set up the deco again as you've indicated.

Is it easy to find the Eir set up for using your own router?

• Advertisement

I am with Eir but didn't feel the need to dump their router yet. I did due diligence on Eir after a bad experience with Vodafone and made absolutely sure that they allow you to use your own router. Its sufficient for me to be able to change my DNS to my pi-hole, but if I find that the WIFI is flaky over a sustained period I will replace it with one of the new routerboards coming out of china with N100 processors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭madcabbage

It is possible to setup 3rd party routers using PPPoE settings with Vodafone.

https://n.vodafone.ie/support/broadband-and-landline-hub/broadband-landline/set-up-installation-guides.html

I've a Unifi UDM SE as my router connected straight to the ONT line/where the fiber line comes in, works perfectly fine. If most of your devices are wireless, a pair of TP Link Deco's would probably be sufficient without having to replace the Vodafone router.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭macchoille

I’ve an ASUS mesh setup that’s been running since pre covid. It’s been problem free since it was put in. Vodafone router is in it’s original box in the attic ever since

What DSL router would you recommend or are you on full fibre? I’m on FTTC.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭macchoille

I’m on FTTH (full fibre). I’ve the ASUS XT8 boxes. It was a bit fiddly to get running initially but I believe I got the settings I need from another boards thread years back.

Advertisement