Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mental health

Options
  • 08-03-2024 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello everyone,

I am really struggling at the minute, I have suffered with anxiety and ptsd over the years but recently I’ve dove into a well of depression that is continuing to get worse, I also have severe body dysmorphia, I have recently went back to therapy and started medication but I’m seriously seriously struggling, I have to small kids and a great family around me but none of it matters I feel I need a way out, I’m so scared, I’m so trapped, I don’t know what to do 😞 I’m struggling to get up in the morning, get dressed and bring the kids to school, I hate to be around people it’s not like me at all….the thoughts of having to talk to people at the minute is honestly draining me and putting my anxiety through the roof, I absolutely hate myself, for doing this to myself, for stressing my family out but I can’t shift it, I can’t even look at myself in the mirror anymore without it being a trigger, all my tattoos I once loved and gave me comfort I know can’t stand, I can’t look at them, I want them off……I genuinely just want to run away, I’m so lost

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,064 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved to an appropriate forum instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Alexus25

Hi there, I'm really sorry to hear you’re going through an extremely difficult time, it sounds really overwhelming. I'm not sure if you're saying you overcame/ learnt to better manage the anxiety and ptsd, and now are currently experiencing depression and BDD or experiencing all 4 at once.

I think you're great for having the wisdom and strength to reach out for support, usually with medication for mental health it can take 4-6 weeks to take effect (which you may know already).

It's great you say you have a good family around you, I wonder if they know how you're feeling and if they're a source of support particularly during this time? You say youre stressing your family out..have they told you this or do you just feel youre stressing them out? From what you're saying it sounds extra tough managing responsibilities when you're feeling this way, which is completely understandable. Is there a partner or other parent who's there sharing the responsibility?

Not only does it seem like you're feeling low and finding life difficult as a consequence, but it sounds like you're experiencing added guilt and self criticism to how you're feeling aswell. I'm really sorry you're feeling this way, of course this isn't going to make you feel any better and make life feel more difficult as a consequence.

From what you're saying, it sounds like feeling overwhelmed is in the heart of how you're feeling (feeling scared and lost,feeling trapped,wanting a way out, and wanting to run away),please correct me if I'm wrong.

Can I ask, if a friend or family member was going through this, what would you tell them? Would you tell them what you're telling yourself or would you respond with more compassion and less self criticism?

Or another way of looking at it is think of a person who makes you feel safe and is very compassionate to you who respond with little-no judgement and imagine telling them how you feel, and thinking what they would say to you. Then imagine them giving you a hug (put your arms around yourself and give yourself a hug)

I wonder if you've tried breathing exercises and mindfulness also, deep breathing can slow down the Central nervous system in our body and increase a feeling of calmness as a result

At the end of the day, you need to mind yourself. Do you have friends you can reach out to for support or trusted friends or family who can help you at home while youre experiencing these difficulties? What other ways do you cope when going through difficult times? Are there other supports in your area where you could seek help like Aware support groups, though this doesn't appeal to everyone.

Here is a list of additional supports

Parentline is another general and mental health support which you'll find here

Sending hugs 🤗🤗🤗

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

So sorry to read that you are feeling so lost and overwhelmed OP. It sounds like you are going through a very difficult time and struggling every day. Some services in the link posted by Alexus25 above might really help but sometimes even reaching out for help can seem like too big of a mountain to climb. I really hope your new therapy and medication will start helping you feel stronger so you don't feel so alone or so full of anxiety.

Would you consider ringing the Samaritans? Talking to a stranger when we're in a dark place or at our lowest ebb can sometimes be easier than talking to family or friends. They are available to listen 24/7, 365 days. The phone number is 116 123.

Mind yourself. Also sending hugs 🤗🤗🤗.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Avoid coffee, social media, alcohol, news etc etc ... Toxic !

... If you are beating yourself up then step back and stop.

Get as much rest as you can. Stop comparing your self to others. Try and stay in the present.

Try and make your life as simple as possible.

Hug and love your kids and be kind to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

Dr. Nicole Schnackenberg has written some good stuff about BDD (and done some nice podcast interviews too). You might look her up online.

• Advertisement
Advertisement