Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you carry a spare phone when travelling?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

And old phone is a good backup. Also I'd often travel with a Tablet, which would allow you access to the Internet on wifi and an ability to change passwords, make phone calls on Skype and that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,841 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I think the drive backup is Google One, although I wouldn't be surprised if it's changed names again

Tbh a lot of the Google service offering is a mess these days, but once you have signed into a new phone then you've got most of the essentials available

They do have a phone transfer system which basically copies everything to a new phone, but you need the old phone for it AFAIK since they basically do a peer to peer transfer. Not as useful if your old phone is at the bottom of the Seine or being sold to the nearest CeX for cash

I guess one issue is you only know how well these systems work by trying them out. If you have a spare phone around it might be worth giving it a test run to see how well it works

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Regarding security: If you have a Samsung phone that supports Knox, it can run Samsung's Secure Folder app. I would recommend reading up on these, as they are really incredibly powerful.

Secure Folder is best described as a virtual phone within a phone, but with it being secured at the hardware level. You can put almost anything inside the secure folder - apps, photos, files, crypto wallets, a txt file containing all your passwords, documents email client, etc - and they are all secured and walled off from those same apps and stuff outside of the folder.

Also be aware that many countries will potentially require you unlock your phone and hand it over on entry and they will image it's entire contents, so potentially nothing on your phone is private or confidential when travelling to certain countries. What happens if you have a Secure Folder, I have no idea. Potentially they might ask for that to be unlocked also, but I have no real idea on that. Possibly it would go unnoticed and everything in it would still be secure and private. Even if they image the phone, the secure folder is ecrypted to an extent there is no known government ability to decrypt it.

Most mobile phone processors are based on ARM architecture and use their reference designs as startting points. ARM's architecture includes a physical security centric ancillary processor they called TrustZone. Even Apple's own processors include this, just they pretended they invented it and called it 'Secure Enclave' and restricted it's use to Apple only. Samsung leveraged this via Knox and allows the user to take advantage of it as they wish via the Secure Folder App. Knox has the NSA's seal of approval for the storage of US government secrets.

Advertisement