Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need someone to bring a car in from the USA - help please!

Options
  • 08-03-2024 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 64,780 ✭✭✭✭

Spotted a '70s Karmann Ghia on a US forum that I would love to have. The car is reasonably priced, asking $5,000. The car is located in Georgia. About 250 miles from the major international shipping port of Savannah, Georgia

Can anyone help with this? Are there agents that can arrange pickup from there and dropping to my home in Dublin? Or even just to Dublin port? What sort of money would that cost me including all fees and taxes?

I presume the taxes on the car itself would be 10% import duty of the invoice value, €200 flat fee for classic VRT and 23% VAT over invoice value + shipping cost + insurance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭mustang68

Oh I'm in the middle of this, so I can help!

There are a number of turnkey companies which do it, transglobal and Schumacher are the ones that came in best for me. You can get it Door->Port or Door->Door, they will organise collection. Prices varied a lot, but you'd certainly be over 3000... from what I saw you'd be looking at 4000, the companies are quite to quote.

No Import duty for classics, but the VAT is 23% on everything. You also need marine insurance, normally 2% of the price of the car.

For documentation there is an annoying thing you now need to get from the IRS called an EIN in order to export - you have to call the IRS (the online form doesn't cater to foreigners) - they need some pretty simple details (they literally fill out the form for you, so have it in front of you to make life easier) and they give you the EIN at the end of the call. You may need the physical letter for export so have a look at getting the EIN now as it take two weeks to get to you. You want to set up as a "Sole Proprietor".

The shipping companies charge a bit to clear it in Dublin, so you may be better going with a local crowd to clear it, carclear.ie (he was very helpful) and bell.ie comes recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,780 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Thanks a million @mustang68, I saw your recent posts, was hoping you'd reply!

I guess it makes more sense for a higher value car as for me the cost to import would double or more likely - treble the cost of buying the car, making it unviable for me

Advertisement