Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Authorising payments issue

Options
  • 07-03-2024 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭

Wife’s new android phone (Xiaomi Redmi Note 12) having all sorts of problems with authorising payments with both BOI and AIB.

Using chrome, start the payment process, and you run through until you get to the ‘click here once you have authorised this payment’ type screen. We’ll get the prompt from the banking app, so open that and you run though that process

so far so good

get to the stage where you’ve auth’d it and to go back to chrome - and when we do, in the process of opening chrome back up, it refreshes itself and the payment approval page disappears..

very frustrating..!

thought might be memory issues with chrome, but not many tabs open. Gave it a reboot and no change - could still be memory?

various options in app settings around ‘pause app activity if unused’, which I’ve disabled. No restrictions under battery saver etc

Any thoughts? Same issue with both AIB and BOI, so common denominator is chrome - have firefox downloaded so will try that with the next purchase (having to actually need to buy something makes this troubleshooting a bit of a pain)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭con747

Have you tried pressing the square icon on the bottom of the phone? On my Xiamoi it brings up previous opened tabs and apps afaik.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

Yea tried that most recently alright - figure there shouldn’t be a wrong way to do it, but maybe not(?)

wife had been hitting home and opening chrome again, but exact same result

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Reckon it is aggressive RAM mamangement. Xiaomi is notorious for killing browser apps and other apps even with no restrictions enabled, from what i have read.

My Xiaomi Pad 5 has 6GB of RAM, compared to your 4GB of RAM, and it closes Firefox often when not in focus.

EDIT: You could try locking the Browser app, which may keep it in RAM longer i think

Yeah that’s my suspicion alright.. no tweaks available for that? Didn’t have this with the old Samsung that didn’t survive a drop

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭con747

• Advertisement

Thanks for steer everyone, even knowing things to search for, Im a lot better off, much appreciated. I’ll give a couple of those a shot and let you know

Not sure on a phone. But to lock an app on the Tablet. Pull up recents click and hold on the app such as the browser and there should be a lock icon.

I usually just use another device to order from and just authorise on my phone

Ok, so I think the following has resolved it

xiaomi redmi note 12, running MIUI 14.0.12

settings -> apps -> system app settings -> security

option called ‘boost speed’

select ‘lock apps’

find and turn this on for Chrome

this, I believe, locks chrome in memory so isn’t subject to this aggressive memory handling

gave it a quick go just now and was able to make a payment (authorising via BOI app) without Chrome immediately forgotting what it was doing

thanks all for the suggestions! Phew, was an absolute head wrecker…

Oh I turned up memory extension last night also (3gb to 4gb maybe..?), but fairly confident that wouldn’t have help here (consensus online seems to be to turn it off entirely in fact.. we’ll see)

Nice!

Cheers for showing the solution. Will help others i'm sure 👍️

• Advertisement
Advertisement