Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to leave?

Options
  • 07-03-2024 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I joined the public sector almost two years ago. I was finally being called for interview for positions a grade up but then the recruitment embargo started. I started at entry level and really hoped to move up fast as I have a wealth of work experience behind me. I'm now thinking maybe with the embargo still in place and with things looking so glum in the organisation is it time for me to look elsewhere? My job is easy and I'm able for much more but no chance of making any positive changes where I am, it's very old fashioned and they like it that way. My thoughts are that this organisation is pretty much screwed for a few years anyway and I'm not getting any younger. Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,678 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

HSE? yeah, try to get in to almost any other organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Decide what you want for yourself career wise and take the steps necessary to achieve it. Think only of yourself and the career you want. Waste no time thinking about a dysfunctional organisation. Go after all good things, people and places.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JesseJane

I think I know in my heart I need to leave but finding something else is difficult. Finding the "perfect fit" so I won't have to move again. Any advice? Should I see a Career coach maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,678 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You can never know if a job will be a perfect fit. Even if you get a great fit, a change in management can alter things almost overnight.

And unless you are over 60, expecting to never have to move again is unrealistic.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It just a job, it is not your life or at least it should not be! There was one generation that managed to find a job and live out their work life there. Now it's back to normal - expect to move every couple of years or so and even change career now and then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

We spend half of our working lives in our job, so it is very much a large part of our life. I agree that one should expect to move every few years though if they want to move up. I'm past the 20 years working mark and have changed job over a dozen times with at least 4 career changes. You will never find a perfect fit, but the aim is to get closer each time with whatever improvements you can make.

Stay Free

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I was not talking about what you do, but where you do it. Of course you should spend your time doing something that interests you, but expecting to do it happily in one place for a life time is a non starter,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Ted222

If you’re not happy after two years then you should seriously consider leaving. It’s long enough to make an informed decision but not so long that you have yet become institutionalised.

Speaking as someone who spent decades in the public sector, your choices are to either (a) get with the programme and accept your surroundings or (b) get the hell out asap.

Staying in a public sector office that you don’t value or appreciate will blacken your soul and make you resentful. People of my generation didn’t have much of a choice but you do.

Yes I agree, and with no sign of embargo lifting it looks like I could be stuck for God knows how long. I'm starting to look at other options now and hopefully something better will come my way. Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭n.d.os

I suppose get on to a recruitment agency as it can be hard navigating it yourself. It will set you on your way as you will have someone else doing a lot of the heavy lifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Ted222

Don’t let the embargo be the deciding factor though.

In my experience, embargoes come and go and when they go the floodgates tend to open and it’s bonanza time again.

Regardless, the other factors which are giving you pause for thought will still be there and a promotion may only have the effect of kicking the can down the road to a time in your life when you have less freedom to move.

Take this opportunity to consider your long term goals.

Best of luck.

It's the uncertainty of it all I suppose. If it goes on for another six months or a year or more then I don't think I could hang on that long. There is no sign of it ending though.

Advertisement