Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garda cctv obligations

Options
  • 07-03-2024 6:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

hi , my life is falling apart as i am being targeted , harassed and intimidated by Gardai.

garda arrested and assaulted me right outside garda station.

it would have shown clearly from CCTV cameras inside the station as doors were open

it also would have shown me being forcefully handcuffed and kicked in my back by this Gard from camera outside front door.

now i am after finding out from GSOC that it was inconclusive as it was very hard to see on the supplied CCTV by the Gardai

the camera footage they supplied was from a camera 100 meters away.

i believe this was done on purpose , as the cameras inside and outside front door would have confirmed i done nothing wrong.

in court he made false allegations that I started pushing him and that I tried to escape.

I am a 60 yo disabled person, and now received a second conviction while honestly totally innocent.

what can be done and is it an offence that gardai did not supply all cctv evidence to GSOC

thank you

ron

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Right!

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭JVince

Unfortunately, I suspect it is true.

I've had my own experience of utter incompetence and corruption of gardai.

Ombudsman frankly will do little.

A written complaint to the local superintendent can actually elicit a better response.

Judges are ambivalent, but not necessarily always siding with the gardai.

Taking legal action is not feasible as the legal costs of the gardai come out of the public service budget, whereas any payout comes out of the Garda budget, hence they fight tooth and nail against any action.

I think the best option is to write to the local superintendent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

If a complaint has been made to GSOC and they have not found any evidence of criminality then that is the end of it I would think.

The Gardaí are obliged to handover all documentation and all CCTV to assist the investigation. It appears this was provided. The CCTV is independent and will show what happened. If you write to the Superintendent he will refer to the GSOC independent investigation which presumably shows no wrongdoing on the part of Gardaí.

This exact scenario is exactly why Gardaí are getting bodycams- It will root out dishonest Gardaí and protect the good ones from vexatious complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mikethecop

will you accept the result when it goes against you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

The point here is that the CCTV from close by was mysteriously missing. Unsurprising unfortunately.

Body cams are painfully overdue. I've seen Gardai lie in court on multiple occasions in order to try and secure a conviction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭peter4918

Another anti-Garda, nonsense poster.

You saw Gardai lie about what exactly? Were you directly involved in the cases you are saying they were lying?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Do you not see the hypocrisy in your post?

You called the poster anti-Garda and a nonsense poster without a shred of evidence to back it up.

What if the poster says yes they were directly involved in the cases, will you then issue a public apology?

Unfortunately not all Gardai are above reproach and this is a well known fact that has featured in the news quite frequently.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 advisemerite

You could write to any Business or office directly close to the station. Ask them for a copy of the CCTV, assuming they have a system. If you appear on their CCTV you are entitled to a copy under GDPR.

A public apology to who exactly?

That poster has made a wild allegation about Gardai lying in court with what I’d wager as you put it ‘a shred of evidence’ to back it up.

If he has evidence and involved in the cases then I’m sure he will have highlighted with his legal people, make a complaint and let that follow its course of action.

If anything, more than likely it’s a story of a friend of a friend who got a speeding ticket or got caught for drunk driving, on the phone etc, that he didn’t do it, he swears, the Guard's are making it up for court.

It's very obvious from my post who I was referring to when I asked would you be making a public apology to them. I'm not going to literally spell it out for you.

It's also very obvious who the poster is that is making wild allegations in this thread, peter.

You admit you know the sum total of nothing about the incidents in question but despite your ignorance of the facts you continue to make wild allegations and surmise what you think might be likely to have happened.

Sometimes it's better to stay silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement

Seriously? It’s an internet forum not a sworn inquiry. Settle down.

I don’t know why your getting your knickers in a twist with nothing got to do with you. I’m sure the original poster is well capable of answering for themselves if they wish. Good night.

Ahh, so you do know who I was referring to. I thought as much.

Just for clarity peter, you are the one who got your knickers in a twist over something that had nothing to do with you.

It's laughable that you, out of nowhere, accuse someone of being "anti-Garda and a nonsense poster" and then when pulled on it respond with "Settle down".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

Once while I was on a jury - we found the defendant not guilty partly due to that. Another time while I was there observing, waiting on another case. Unfortunately on that occasion, multiple people were found guilty on traffic offences which were made out to be more serious then they were.

My post was in response to two others which were against the OP, but without any discussion, so I thought some balance was required.

This is an internet discussion forum, you know full well that I am never ever going to be A) able or B) bothered to provide you with sufficient evidence, but it doesn't make my statement any less true. Demanding "proof" is a very common internet argument tactic tough, so I'll give you that.

If you lack the critical thinking to understand that out of almost 15,000 Gardai, some can and do lie, there isn't really much I can do for you. Look at the last few stories on this link to enlighten yourself about the behavior of (hopefully) a small minority of Gardai. https://www.rte.ie/search/query/garda/

I’d didn't demand any proof it was some other random poster who started mentioning evidence but thanks for sharing your stories.

Out of 15,000, sure like all professions there will be the bad eggs. But as I thought from your post, you weren’t directly involved or present to see what happened in any of the cases that you mentioned so therefore how can you say the Gardai were lying, just wild speculation on your part.

Can a road traffic offence really be made out to be more serious than it is? A person was either driving while using a mobile phone or not, a person drove through a red light or not, a driver was either drink driving or not etc. As far as I’m aware Gardai aren’t on bonuses for winning court cases so it’s no skin off their noses if they lose in court.

Also, great you provided some links, much appreciated I will give them a read through later hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭148multi

Did you put in a data request for cctv footage from the camera just inside the doors and the one just outside of the doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭AnRothar

From the OP GSOC have investigated and found nothing.

Do you not think they would have reviewed all available footage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭148multi

Two separate things completely, nothing got to do with GSOC.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Agree that the data request has nothing to do with GSOC but.

it would have shown clearly from CCTV cameras inside the station as doors were open

and

now i am after finding out from GSOC that it was inconclusive as it was very hard to see on the supplied CCTV by the Gardai

A group who do investigations as part of their job have assessed the footage as inconclusive.

So the OP would be wasting their time.

But then its their time to use.

When you're finished reading those links peter, bear in mind they are only the ones that made headlines and they are also only the ones from the last week.

Here's another one here for you hot off the presses this morning....

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/garda-due-in-court-as-part-of-anti-corruption-investigation/a1108782429.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ronvos

I think some people mid understand my question.

the guard that arrested me grabbed me in front of the front door.

this would have been captured on the cameras inside the front door .

he then handcuffed me and kicked his knee into my back.

this would all have been shown on the camera outside front door .

ombudsman requested the gardai to provide all available cctv footage.

if garda would have provided footage from inside camera and camera outside front door it would have clearly shown that he kicked me in my back while handcuffed. So instead of providing images from these cameras , garda provide footage from just one camera about 100 meters away , and due to the distance it was hard to see anything .

there is no raport that cameras where not working at this time as this would have been raported to the relevant department that deals with repair of faulty cctv system.

• Advertisement
Advertisement