Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import duty on Frame

Options
  • 06-03-2024 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭

If I was to buy a high end frame from the UK does anyone know how to work out customs and vat charges I would have to pay at this end please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭ARX

Is the frame made in the UK? If so, I think it's exempt from duty (otherwise about 4%). You'll have to pay Irish VAT on it. The retailer may remove UK VAT, but not all will do that. In that case you'll be paying VAT twice. There'll also be a 'handling charge' on the Irish side, probably about a tenner.

TBH dealing with the UK is a bit of a pain in the hole now. Can you get the same frame from the EU?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

"Is the frame made in the UK? If so, I think it's exempt from duty"

i didn't know that could make it exempt?

Origin of goods and tariffs (revenue.ie)

I believe that's the case. I got a wheelset from the UK recently and didn't have to pay duty, just VAT. The wheels were made in the UK but not the rims, spokes and hub.

EDIT: Buying online from the UK after Brexit (citizensinformation.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭Charlie69

No it’s not UK made but I don’t have to pay UK vat..,, just trying to work out how much Irish vat and customs will cost . It doesn’t seem to be very straightforward at all.

EU & International – Taxes and Duty – Fairlight Cycles

That should help. It's a pain dealing with the UK now (and don't ask me what sort of consumer protection you have when buying from a non-EU country).

But yeah, sunlit uplands.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that…. that seems to suggest that customs on frames is changed at 4% compared to 14%? on full bikes. That makes it a little more palatable. I think Irish vat is 21%?…. You’re right, buying from the UK is a pain for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

More UK places are beginning to cop on and do customs handling on deliveries, like a lot of the far east suppliers. Planet X and Ribble both do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭fiacha

Handy guide on how a UK vendor should be handling VAT on EU orders. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-exports-dispatches-and-supplying-goods-abroad#vat-on-exports

I recently spoke to a store in UK whose website showed UK vat was being charged. They confirmed that it was a limitation of the website software and they will refund the UK Vat on an order that has already shipped or they can manually raise an invoice without the UK VAT.

Always worth contacting them before ordering.

Yeah the UK vendor I’m dealing with doesn’t charge UK vat but trying to workout Irish vat and customs charges is real pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Alanbt

I used to buy quite a few bits second hand from UK but rarely now. I did roll the dice with a frame in October though.

The seller had under declared the value of the frameset (I had not known or requested this) but the package was selected for inspection. Had to show proof of amount paid etc.

Total extra I had to pay was less than 10% of the price paid for the frameset.

was expecting more, so no idea how it actually works!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

The HS code for bike frames is 87149100

Its not completely accurate - frames made in the UK, EU and outside EU attract different duty rates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Just looked at a receipt for the import of a non- EU manufactured ( ie Taiwan) frame plus miscellaneous bike parts from a shop in England , with shipment / customs handling by An Post

The UK price, had the UK VAT removed

-Resulting price was then converted to € ( though whether that is done at the beginning or end of the transaction makes no difference)

-Duty of 4.7% was applied

-VAT of 23% is then applied to the combined ( sales plus duty) price

-No handling charge was applied.

All very straightforward, to be honest.

Advertisement