Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need an Eddi, what does it do

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Latro

I've never had Eddi so I don't really know what are its capabilities, but It is hard to think what it could potentially do more than Home Assistant automation.

HA will fully control your Immersion heaters based on any criteria you can come up with. Time, excess solar, temperature, house load, you name it.

If you get switch relay like Sonoff 320D with temperature probe sensor it will also add a layer of protection for water overheating, in case your immersion thermostat fails for some reason.

Total cost would probably be around 30 euro for zigbee bridge + 30 euro relay per immersion + whatever you decide to run your HA assistant on but I'm sure almost anyone has a few years old laptop collecting dust somewhere.

What if Eddi dies in 3-4 years? Will you fork out another 500 for replacement?

Why would you heat water on the excess solar anyway? It doesn't make much sense with the current generous FIT rate.

The only scenario comes to my mind if you have 2 inverters with export cap at 5/6kW under NC6, and if there is still free capacity above that.

But then again HA is perfect for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

Can you send 1kw to the immersion with home assistant?

Or 500watts to a 2kw heater ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

The big thing about the eddi/immersion diverters is that they can vary the power the immersion takes.

It's not on/off like home assistant can do.

Rest of the points still valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TheBigBadWolf

Hi, newbie question.
    I’m getting (18) panels installed. We don’t have a heat pump (have a gas supply). Also getting a battery.

Is it still worthwhile getting an Eddy if you have a battery or is there no point?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

You can heat water for 10c/kWh with gas,

You can sell your electric for 20c-24c/kWh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Ive a smallish 5kw battery and an eddi. I love mine for the convenience. 2 adults 2 teens pumped shower means we always have timed hot water for normal scheduled and the simple boost button all of them understand how to use if they have a 3rd shower after the gym at an unusual time … but mostly i have constant hot water all year round. Cost to run is negligible in winter (small tank ) heats very quick.

Electric showers kept under 10 minutes are much cheaper but then you havent met a teenager have you.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭millb

Agreed - the Eddi was useful pre FIT.

They are not needed in times of positive FIT and cheap night tariffs.

May become useful again if / when daytime PV export goes to <10 or 15c.

I use mine now as a timer (on@4am) and with the remote boost (eg 8pm) when needed.

Advertisement