Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Late Night Food So Limited

Options
  • 05-03-2024 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

I have noticed since the pandemic that there are very few fast food outlets open beyond 10pm. Why?

I do be coming home and my only choice is McDonalds.

Why?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Less trade since COVID - more people WFH so not coming home late; more people unwilling to pay takeaway prices.

24h shops are also near dead outside city centres - petrol stations got automated pumps instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Getting staff can be an issue.

they relies it's not worth the hassle. The majority of your customers will come to you earlier apart from a few straggles or drunks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

pricing is a serious thing…..

family of 4 going to a chipper now…. Around 45-50 euros without a drink…

doing that once a week about 200 a month…

people get a bit fed up of being gouged…maybe people are voting with their feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It's not worth their time staying open if no one is coming in.

The cost of staying open is too much so they shut early.

Same with the pubs in this village, the days of heading out 30 minutes before closing for a few pints are gone because the pubs are likely to be closed, if no one is coming in or the crowd is small they close before official closing time.

Something that would be unheard of a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Because the only people out that late are usually drunk and aggressive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Depends on where you live I suppose. I find there are plenty in Cork city centre, but the quality is generally bad.

I find it rare enough to come across aggressive people at night, even if drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Nothing , including chippers ,shops and all other late night places open after 10 pm . They took their chance when it came

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Quality getting worse and prices getting worse. We've went from a lot of decent 'proper' chippers to only a few of those around, with a multitude now of 'Remix Kebab House', 'Turkish Kebabish' etc., where your historical 'chipper' food is gone to pot. You obviously still do have your decent ones like Enzos in Ennis etc., but they're a dime-a-dozen now.

Double-whammy for the consumer leading to less trade

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Staff don't want to work late hours, that's what happened in the restaurants in our area so you get a time slot, miss it and f**k off.

Can't really complain

In terms of chippers etc, who would want to deal with a load of pi** heads anymore? plus the security staff you have to hire etc

Like the videos flying round of the group of little sc*mbags that ripped up a takeaway, the boys from takeaway got them on the bus and gave them a bit of a beating. All the plonkers on complaining about the poor wee boys. A good kicking is exactly what they needed.

Why would you stay open when you have that type around and everyone making excuses for them been little sc*mbags?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

If McDonalds is your only choice, you're in a bad situation. I rather sh*t in my hands and clap....and then eat that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Minimum wage went up by 1.40. So costs went up. Assuming 3 people manning a chippy, thats 4.20 an hour extra they have to make to still break even. So a few places stop staying open after 10. Once a few places start closing at 10, people assume most places are closed by 10 so stop going out looking for food after 10 so more places close.

Pubs across the country are seeing less footfall, so less people going for after drink grub. To entice more punters, more pubs are doing food (not a bad thing by all accounts), so less people needing grub.

For a further nail in the coffin, a night out has gotten significantly more expensive in recent times so less people heading out to begin with. With the proliferation of streaming subscriptions, a movie at a mates house with BYOB is much more common than it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

I don't class McDonalds as food but apparently they have some fervent fans on Boards.

Having worked in 2 deli's and numerous bars, I'd prefer McD's to many mom-and-pop chippies or fast food places. McD and the big chains have strict and clear rules and processes for the handling, storage and treatment of food.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

We don't have chippys in Ireland, off to the UK with you

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

in dublin anyway it seems like there are more choices for takeaway food at night than ever

Aaand another one for my ignore list. It's busy today.

• Advertisement

I'm assuming the OP was not referring to Dublin. Certainly the last time I was up there it was takeaway food and takeaway coffee central. Lack of variety though.

Nor do we have "mom-and-pop" anything. (Hoping to get on the ignore list too).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The market is in bed asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Our local dial-a-can and drug delivery services operate until 4am at weekends. Maybe they should get into the pizza game as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Cost, getting staff to work late on min wage.

Noise, litter, things kicking off, complaints about all of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Do you do be coming home?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭ofcork

Since covid the likes of bk and mc donalds are closing around 12 only small couple of places open late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Up to a few years ago most towns and villages had a number of good quality chippers run by Irish locals and the Italians, often family multi generational businesses.

They served great food and it was a friendly service going back years.

Now we have these fly by night garish set ups called variations of “kebab” - Magic Kebab, Tasty Kebab, then more exotic names like Pashto, Afghan, Turkiye Kebab - these joints have a rotating cast of dour, sullen, men (almost exclusively men) who take orders with barely a word and serve out poor quality fare - often getting the order wrong - grrr - however they are well able to charge for this food.

Often these places close on a Monday then reopen on a Thursday under a new name and a different cast of staff.

I vote with my pocket and give business to the proven, well established good quality chippers in town.

Advertisement