Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1990s Junior Cert history Book

Options
  • 04-03-2024 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello!

I hope somebody might have a better memory that I do!

I went to secondary school in Cork in 1988 and did my junior cert in 1991.

I really enjoyed the history syllabus we did and I can remember vast swathes of it ... but I cannot remember the name of the book.

It had a brownish cover and was a more a landscape shape than a portrait shape.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

1991 was the last year of the Inter Cert. The Junior Cert was first examined in 1992.

I did mine in 1987. History and Geography both had two syllabuses - long and short. Long meant an extra 30 minutes in the exam - 2.5 hours instead of 2 hours. If you did long Geography, you had to do short History and vice versa.

Our school and all the others in the town did long Geography (which had South America) and short History.

For short History, there were two sections in the paper, both carried 50% each. Part 1 was Modern stuff (can't remember name of the book) and all parts were compulsory. Every school in the country had this book.

Part 2 was comprised of six options which pre-dated the 20th century. Basically each school picked one of the six and stuck to it forever. They were

A) Our Heritage From The Ancient World

B) The Middle Ages

C) The Age Of The Renaissance & The Reformation

D) Absolutism & Enlightenment

E) The Age Of Revolution

F) The Nineteenth Century

We did B) - The Crusades, tuaths, castles, Charlemange, Normans etc. The cover had elements of brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

We used 2 history books for the inter in 1991 called Ireland since 1870 s as nd Europe since 1870. Both went up until the 1960s. Hope this helps.

Advertisement