Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi Gym

Options
  • 04-03-2024 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Looking for some advice. Have some early-stage issues and not so early stage issues (hump, bad posture and early signs of back spores on my upper back) probably not describing it correctly but issues with my upper back and neck that if I don't address them now and build muscle, will cause me bigger issues in a few years.

So I have to try and do something about it, I'm in my early 50's, 6ft 1 and just under 16 stone. Don't drink or smoke just have a sweet tooth which is under control, my diet has been generally good the last year or so since I started going for tests etc. But I have absolutely no upper body strength. Have started walking regularly but need to improve my flexibility and upper body strength.

The nearest gym is about a 30-minute drive away so I'd prefer to build a small home gym in the spare room on the ground floor and I was thinking of getting something like the multi-gym linked below and some adjustable dumbells. Or should I get something else as I haven't a clue about this stuff? I have a spin bike which I sometimes use if the weather is crap but I prefer the outdoors for walking as I have two dogs and I'm hoping to gradually change the walking to running in the morning and then in the afternoon/ evening go to the spare room put on some music and try and improve my body strength. I'm open to all suggestions and have a budget of about €1000 - €1500 to start with and I can add more to it next month.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

In the long term, you've got a good budget for a home gym, and even for less than 1000 euro you can buy something like an adjustable bench and a set of adjustable dumbbells, and be really well set up to start.

Although I like machines, I would be a little wary of the build quality of the multi-gym you've linked to in your post. I think that you'll possibly get more bang for your buck buying dumbbells, kettlebells or a barbell and plates.

Check out Fitness Equipment Ireland, McSport and Blk Box and have a look at what's on sale.

I'm not sure what your experience level is, but I'd suggest that the bigger issue is actually knowing what you intend to do with this equipment, and for that, you're either going to need to spend something on face-to-face coaching at the outset, or identify an online resource that chimes with you.

In general terms, as a beginner some kind of full body routine 2-3 days per week would be a good place to start. For general health routines and accessibility, Dan John might be worth doing a free trial with. He programs very simple, mainly 'at home' style workouts using quite basic equipment.

Dan John University

Advertisement