Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf shoes

Options
  • 04-03-2024 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what brands people are finding most reliable at moment. I want to buy 2 pairs for year ahead. Firstly a waterproof pair as it looks like we'll have plenty more rain in coming weeks. Secondly a more summer type pair for when we hopefully hit some good weather, spikeless but water resistant will do for early morning dew etc in summer months.

Haven't bought since before Covid, current pair are Skechers which I have found comfortable

Have heard good few mentions that Adidas and Nike quality has really gone downhill with golf shoes.

Under Armour and Footjoy are probably the other obvious ones.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭paulos53

I purchased a pair of Adidas ZG23 in early December. No issue with the quality after 3 month of using them in wet and muddy conditions.

I also find Ecco to be a great golf shoe but more expensive than most other brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Can 2nd the Adidas ZG23. Very good shoe at a decent price.

Decathlon have a summer waterproof. Their own shoe which is excellent value.

The Ecco top line Biom G5 Gortex failed miserably after 3 months.

Sketchers go golf spikeless is also a great shoe .

Fj are over priced for what they deliver. Very disappointed with any models I have ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

I deviated from footjoy twice to try nike and callaway and came limping back both times. Footjoy fit my feet and keep the water out. The other two weren't as good for comfort and started falling apart in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Generally play once a week. I’d rarely get more than 6 months out of a golf shoe before they leak. Got a pair of puma shoes this time last year, still going strong and very comfortable.

lot of lads say the air blower for cleaning shoes contributes greatly to them letting in water.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Adidas CodeChaos 22 are fantastic shoes. Super comfortable, great waterproofing, and twice voted most stable spikeless shoe by the MyGolfSpy guys.

They're also a couple of years old as a model so good value can be found for them. I've been wearing them all winter without issue. They can be a bit funky in terms of colour and style, so maybe not to everyone's taste.

Looking for a summer shoe, depending on your taste and budget I love the G/Fore stuff.

The traditional looking shoe, the Gallivanter is full leather, so perfect in terms of summer rain. They usually sell a standard and wide fit option. The grips on the base are not great for winter golf, but fine in summer conditions.

They've recently released a new style, the Gallivan2r, which is a mix of their traditional look with a more sporty style shoe, which I'm very tempted by, but not sure I can justify the spend on another new pair of shoes 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭IrishOwl...

I use the Footjoy premier series for my winter wear, on the expensive side but by far the most comfortable and waterproof shoes I've had! I've yet to have even a slightly damp sock and they have seen some conditions the last few months...I've tried both Adidas and Under Armour before, but they didn't cut the mustard in the long run for me.

Ill wear anything that's comfortable during the dry, firm summer months, but I've a pair of Nike Low Golf Jordon's if its anyway wet. They're leather and would have a bit more grip than my regular runner if there's some due on the ground. Also they're extremely comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭S_D

https://www.nike.com/ie/t/air-zoom-infinity-tour-golf-shoes-RXM8XJ/DC5221-041 I bought 2 pairs, one black and one white for winter / summer. waterproof and comfortable, couldnt fault them at all. best part is....2 year warranty with all nike shoes. Cant explain how thats worth its weight in gold and the return process is so simple. Have actually purchased a lot of running shoes over the years and even over the 2 year mark if the air zoom bubble bursts, or any defects appear, they are refunded without hesitation or questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

I am awaiting delivery of these https://www.county-golf.co.uk/mens-footwear/product/under-armour-charged-phantom-sl-golf-shoes-g015/colour/HBB

I got the UA Hovr waterproof ones last year and they did the job really well all through the winter, so I'm adding these one's for our two weeks of summer (whenever that arrives).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

I'm a fairly recent convert to Skechers and find them unbelievably comfortable. I wore their top end shoe all last year and never a hint of water getting through despite the wet summer/autumn. Haven't played since Halloween so can't comment on hard core winter use. You can usually find previous year models on very good discounts on the likes of McGuirks or even Skechers own website.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bobster453

I use Footjoy Stormwalker winter boots.Brilliant.

Mind you i clean them and use goose fat dubbing on them every 2 weeks.

Its all about the aftercare and will last for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭coillcam

Another +1 here for FootJoy. I've two pairs of Hyperflex Boa and love the comfortable fit.

Whatever you do, try your new shoes on in person unless you are 100% certain of the fit/model. The Hyperflex is bigger by half to a full size depending on what you're normally used to in trainers. I went down 1/2 size because of this and might have got away with a full size down.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭TheRoomWrecker

another +1 for Footjoy, I went to them after having wet feet in Nikes to often, have premiere series and traditions pairs that I rotate.

so comfortable, waterproof and last so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭big_drive

Thanks lads. I've actually gone for Skechers again. Sports Direct have a few great offers online at moment so stuck with them. Decent offers on other brands too for anyone looking. I stayed with the Skechers as I know their fit suits me and when buying online I didn't want to take a chance with other brands

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭plumber77

I love my skechers. Don't last very long in comparison to other brands but they are very comfy and fit well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭finglashoop

I picked up two pair of puma golf shoes

On sale and flagged on a thread on this forum or possibly bargain alerts

Comfortable and waterproof .i cant find the thread now but value for money definitely. Ill be going back to puma again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭big_drive

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭oleard1987

+1 for UA -I got a pair of Under Armour Men's Medal RST Waterproof Spiked Golf Shoes from American golf -On sale as well -Very comfortable and feet were bone dry after 13 holes Sat and Sun morning 

Previously was a Nike man but last pair tore the heels off me and cracked a lot around the sides and soaked my feet .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I like Skechers in general shoes but I've had mixed experiences with their golf shoes. Had to return a pair a couple of years ago as almost the coating came off them. Pair I bought in USA last September have now split along a seam and are leaking. I have had some good ones too though. Seems to very with the design.

I've had Pumas too which were good quality but the size is slightly too large for me and my heel got shredded unless I wore 2 pairs of socks.

Never had a pair that were waterproof for longer than 1 year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Just make sure to get a warranty with them I'd a pair of sketchers that leaked after 10 months and they sent me out a brand new pair, new one's have been flawless.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Under Armour shoes are the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

I play a fair bit of golf and have always bought Footjoy. Usually, I have had to replace them after about a year, always outside the warranty. A few years ago I noticed a friend wearing golf shoes he said were several years old. He said he uses "Celtic Leather Care", a sort of cream, regularly on his shoes that softens and protects the leather. I started to use it every few weeks and can see it has greatly extended the life of my leather golf shoes.

I currently have black Footjoy Premier shoes for winter wear and a pair of Footjoy Pro SL and Traditions for summer wear.

I always buy a wide fitting, When I purchased the Premier shoes I decided to go for half size larger than I normally would, allowing for thicker socks in winter, and first wore them for 9 holes to "break them in". To my surprise I had one beauty of a heal blister after the 9 holes... maybe it was the half size larger!! ... but I have to say once "broken-in" they are very comfortable. I wore them through winter (two years ago) and they were fully waterproof and very comfortable, then put them away for the summer. Towards the end of summer I took them out on a very wet day and they let in water. I found the sole had separated from the upper (I have had this several times over the years with Footjoy which has meant putting them in the bin). As they were otherwise in good condition I brought them back to McGuirkes who didn't want to know as they by then had passed 1 year even though I had only used them for maybe 6 months. I brought them to my shoe repairer who re-glued the sole (€15) and they have been perfect and waterproof through this past winter.

I have used the Pro SL's for two summers and hope to take the out again soon if the weather ever improves!! The Traditions are unused yet.

I noticed mention here that use of the high pressure shoe cleaners may damage golf shoes. McGuires suggested this may be a cause of my leakage above but I was inclined to disbelieve it. Does anyone have any more information on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

I used to always gravitate back to Footjoy up until a couple of years ago. I've found that (purely IMO) the quality of their shoes seemed to go downhill a bit recently. By that I mean, forever and a day up to a few years ago the old "DryJoys in the winter and Aqualites in the summer" combination was bulletproof, but personally I think that the models that replaced them don't have the same quality or feel very flimsy compared to the older stuff. It feels like you have to go "up" an extra model or two in their range to get the same feel/stability as previously.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Which CodeChaos do you have @spacecoyote ? I was looking a pair of these in my pro shop today, it was the model with the twisty dial and the zip at the front rather than laces, I think these ones are waterproof?

If it's these ones, are they wearable in summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I picked up some Skechers a couple of years ago, and have had 4 different pairs now and always find them excellent.

I got caught out last autumn leaving the shoes at home when on a weekend away in Waterford. Only option in stock at McGuirks in my shoe size were Callaways, which I'd never really considered as a option for shoes before.

Have found them to be excellent, very comfortable and no issues with water getting into them. Would definitely recommend.

https://www.mcguirksgolf.com/p/callaway-gents-chev-ls-shoes-black---grey/p-m596324calgentschevlsshoesblackgrey

These are the ones, boa and the zip alright.

Got a great deal on them at the time in mcguirks. There was 40% off and that 10% bonus code was still working.

They're waterproof and super comfortable. Grips are great for a spineless too.

Would be perfect in summer too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭boccy23

Anyone know of a stockist of Asics Kayano Ace here in Ireland? Available in the US but don't seem to be over here.

https://www.asics.com/us/en-us/gel-kayano-ace-2/p/ANA_1111A243-100.html

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

Got a pair of these today. Only used them at range but by Jazus they are comfy and seem to have enough grip for me. Not 100% sure on soggy ground yet though.

I've worn them all winter on a soft parkland course and they've been perfect so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Just ordered a pair of these off the back of your recommendation.

They seem to be €170 everywhere but got them for €111 from McGuirks in their Masters sale. Pity the 10% code doesn't work anymore too but still seems decent enough in comparison to everywhere else.

Need something a bit more comfortable. Currently using the FootJoy eComfort and they're fine but after 18 holes they do start to hurt. Looking forward to trying these. 👍🏻

Advertisement