Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going back?

Options
  • 03-03-2024 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭

I've noticed a trend on Youtube recently. Oldies and sometimes, not so oldies, are going back, back to the videos, dvds, the ould wireless, instead of streaming, proper books with pages made of paper instead of Kindle, even 😲 giving up the ould TV, giving up the ould Netflix etc. I'm not ready to do that yet although with everything going on in the world, it's tempting to close yourself away with a good old buke. Problems arising from dvd, video and book storage might deter most. What do O & O's think, any who are still around?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Currently streaming the Manchester Derby, and have a paperback in front of me which I was reading beforehand.

Still have a pile of dvds but the player is in storage. Also have hundreds of cds, and maybe spin one every week or so.

Watch fair bit of Netflix too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I never left, except for DVDs.

We have Spotify and MUBI subs, but mostly watch Freesat. Get the weekend papers delivered. Buy music on CD or records (and always did, there's only a short gap between when the stuff I listen to stopped being released as 12" singles and records becoming popular again). Have an extensive library of books.

For movies, if I buy them I buy a disc, rip it to my Plex server and charity shop it. Not legal but nobody will ever care, and I paid proper money for it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The Newspapers would love that, I had an old Uncle who used to buy three papers and cut out the match reports from each one.

--

It can be done. But I think to really do it properly you would have to get rid of your smartphone. I resent having my one, I only got it because I needed it to use my bank account.

The next question is do you go back "bit by bit" or get rid of all unnecessary technology all in one go? My first thought was back in the 90's we did not have a PC for a good while compared to others. Used to have to go to the library to check things.

I would write far less rubbish on boards.ie if I had to go to the library and book an hour!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I find I'm watching streaming services less and less and just watching stuff I've downloaded on my Kodi server these days.

Too many times I want to watch something new and then realise I don't have the correct streaming service.

Handier to just download the whole show in a few minutes and watch it on Kodi.

Same with music. I bought myself a Sony NW-WM1A walkman a couple of months ago and have been really enjoying putting a great FLAC music collection together. Reminds me of the MP3 downloading days of old.

Half considering cancelling Spotify/Netflix/Disney+

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I never left. Still reading proper, paper, books, watch TV and never stream or YouTube etc. Radio on FM for music. It wasn't broken so I didn't need it fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

We had Netflix for a while but they kicked us off as it belonged to our son who has moved and we haven't bothered to get it ourselves. We record TV series and delete when watched. We have tons of videos and box sets, some we have years and never opened, they're on our to-do list. I find myself crafting a lot more using Youtube to gain new skills in that regard. I can't listen to radio at home though for some reason, other than news and short bursts in the car. I stopped listening to CD's so long ago now but I sometimes watch a few 70's performers on Youtube. The news scares me so I might give that up very soon. 😟

• Registered Users Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Still love radio; not a mad fan of streaming services but have Netflix and Amazon - much prefer books to kindle ; only buy a Saturday or Sunday newspaper mostly for the supplements - love reading them over a nice long breakfast and a few cups of coffee -rarely by DVDS but was never a big collector anyway of films but have key films I’d watch again over time ; loads of CDs which I listen to occasionally and records too going back over 40 years - so yeah I like the blend of modern and traditional methods of engaging with media

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I wonder what Boards posters will think of us on this thread in 20 years time! 😀 I bet the tech will have changed several times in the meantime.

Advertisement