Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flood water from elevated roadway entering driveway

Options
  • 02-03-2024 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hi boards . Looking to see has anyone a solution to my ongoing problem. At the moment im cleaning up wheelbarrows upon wheelbarrows of mud and silt from the driveway because of the ongoing problem of rainwater flowing down from the road and into the gateway which is a good bit higher than the house. Previous attempt at stoping this was to place a tarmacadem ramp at the gateway to encourage the flow to pass by the entrance which seemed to keep it at bay for most of the time but still get a deluge when very heavy rain. Anyone have a more permanent solution beacause the ramp cant go much higher without tearing the chassis off the car😁

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pelliven

Thanks for the reply. Saw something like that in the co op today. Just wondering would it it be enough to divert the excess water . Have you used something like this yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,266 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It depends on the volume of water.

No but I've seen them installed.

A soak pit to handle the flow may be necessary and regular cleaning of the channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,843 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Sounds like a lot of water came in, would something the size of a cattle guard be a better defence?

In any case, you need somewhere for the water to drain to otherwise you'll just end up back to square one

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

A good bit of water comes in. Have pics but no idea how to post them from whatsapp. Up to an ankles worth i suppose.

• Advertisement

Why is it im trying to post a pic and its telling me im one character too short.im allready at my wits end ffs🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

As you can see the gate is up to the left and daughter is happily skipping in whats comming in. Thats an old photo and the tarmac ramp reduced the influx of rainfall in untill heavy showers and then is deja vu. Any recommendations that may work greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Firstly it is illegal to block the flow of water from a road to lower lying ground.

So essentially if you are in land below the level of an adjoining road you have to let the road drain onto your property, the opposite side is that property higher than the road can not let water drain onto the road, so you should only be dealing with water from the road.

If you have the space available the best solution would be to excavate a soakpit (few well liners buried would do) and put a drain with a silt trap across your driveway.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,001 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

This is your solution, and I'm surprised it wasn't a condition of planning permission, assuming you house is new enough.

Google 'cattle grid'

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Tippbhoy1

If this is something caused by changes made externally by the council, is the solution here not to get on to the council and advise them of the problem. They’ll need to put in a drain and a manhole. The sort of volume seen in your drive there is substantial and will destroy your drive in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I agree. That amount of water and silt will block up a drain or soakaway on your land within months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭standardg60

Is there a ditch along the road before it gets to your entrance OP?

If the verge grass has built up it can stop the water flowing into it, so investigate if you can cut a few trenches to allow the water to divert easier. Often seen councils doing this along rural roads.

Thanks for the relplys. I had thought of a cattle grid previously but reckoned it wouldnt be long filling. House was built in 70s so inherited the problem on buying the house. No ditch on my side of road but wouldnt make much difference as the rainwater travels down the other side of the road and only crosses to my side a couple of meters from gate. I might do a bit of research into a soak pit . Would a soak pit make the garden very soggy?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Redlim

In that case is there a ditch on the other side of the road along the section where all the water is flowing before it crosses to your side? If so, opening some trenches there could deal with most of the water before it crosses over to your side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭standardg60

In that case just dig a trench on the far side of the road from where it crosses past your entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭50HX

You need to find where the water is goin to when it recedes, all the channels cattle grids& soak pits won't make any long term difference if you can't get the water away from your property.

Are you on a fall of ground either side of you?

Trench across the road wouldnt work out as id be diverting onto two neighbours entrances.

Dont exactly understand what you mean by finding where the water is going after it recedes but house is on a built up site with field beside and back garden both maybe a metre lower

Like i say the above pic was the situation before i put the ramp of tarmac at gate which diverts most of the water past the gate and only breaches in very heavy rainfall. I think a drain my side of the ramp and soakpit may be the solution to deal with the problem. Thanks for all replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,843 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

You might want to consider talking to a civil engineer. The size of soak away and placement depend on the soil characteristics and grade of the ground on your property

Basically a soak away will just act as a buffer to hold rainwater while it drains away into the surrounding soil. If it's too small then it'll just create another flood somewhere else

Given it seems like a big enough job, it's probably better to get it designed properly and fix it in one go

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

I had a similar problem when I bought my house.

I called the area engineer in the council. He came out and surveyed the problem. There are no drains around but the land has great drainage, so he dug two large soak pits along the road.

It didn’t cost me a cent. I suggest you call your local engineer to see if they will do something similar for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Aravo

For arguments sake, if there was a wall build across your entrance where would the water end up. Would it go to a drain or into another neighbours property. How far away is there a drain. Has there been other houses built upstream. Common for people to build there house and allow water from tarmacadam to flow out onto the road. Which is not in compliance with planning permission. That scenario would make your situation worse. Soakaway or cattle grid would be filled in no time. Best solution is to get water to a drain if one exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,266 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I see that the amount of water entering your property is more substantial than I realised earlier.

Is it possible that something has happened on the other side of the road to prevent water draining away ?

Perhaps a new gateway or a new house.

It seems as if it would be better to stop the water from flowing onto your property rather than trying to deal with it.

One option might be to talk to the local authority roads foreman (sometimes called a road steward) for your area.

Someone local will know who it is or contact the council offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

my parents house has the same issue, in their case there is a drain on the road but it gets blocked easily and then the water starts flowing down their driveway. Some of the neighbour have put in ramps, which they're planning to do as well, but I see it becoming a ramp arms-race then as whoever has the lowest ramp will get the flood.

Advertisement