Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Not sure about buying an ex rental-Help

Options
  • 02-03-2024 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

I've been looking an buying a second hand epower- Nissan Qashquai. Its a year old but has approx 24k km on the clock and is automatic. Its a very good model but I I found out it is ex car rental which makes sense with the miles. I was turnded off. It comes with 4 years warranty etc. I'm just not sure how many repairs it might of needed etc. I've talked to a few dealers and they seem to think these types of cars are absolutely fine. With automatic, no clutch issues etc you'd imagine all would be okay or is this wishful thinking.

Any advice appreciated.

Karl

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

What are you worried about?

24k kms is still a new car, and as long as it's been maintained it should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭User1998

No problem as long as the price is right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭joe1303l

I wouldn’t worry about it being an ex-rental.

I would be worried about the pointless complexity of an electric drivetrain powered by an onboard petrol generator. Double the trouble in my opinion. If you’re going to be rid of it before the warranty expires it won’t matter to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭tlaavtech

We have had several ex-rental cars, and there is no issue with them. The hesitancy of people just means better value for you. We bought one at the end of 2020 where there were several identical models to choose from. One of them came back up for sale last summer for €2K more than we paid! (It was a fiesta so not electric.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

No issue with it being a rental as long as there is a few quid off it as a result.

I would only have an issue with the type of drive-train. It's a hybrid drive-train similar to the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV but without the otion to use electric only, as the Quashqai uses the generator to drive the electric motor the whole time.....kinda like Toyotas "self charging" hybrids.

I honestly don't think anything without a socket for taking in electricity should be in this sub-forum, because it's really just an ICE with electric assistance to reduce emissions, or fool people into thinking they are buying an EV.

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Price is really all that matters, you have a 4 year warranty, the stuff about complex dual drive train is made up nonsense, toyota started selling hybrids 27 years ago, surely, if it was such a problem sales would not be up 30% this month.

The epower is a series hybrid, so just a gen set powering the drive motor with a small 2kw battery buffer, the genset will kick in as needed running at optimal efficiency. practically an EV, just not getting its electricity from money point or pool beg.

Speaking from driving 2 hybrids and 4 plug in hybrids, a nice and easy driving style gives the best results.

Any more questions feel free to ask here in the electric and HYBRID forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Any increased Hybrid sales have come directly from a decrease in diesel sales. Mostly not by choice as diesels cease to be available or affordable due to our silly VRT tax regime and/or BIK rules for company cars. For sure Toyota are well capable of making well built Hybrid cars but I wouldn’t be so confident with Nissan.

The e-power is a ball of shíte hybrid. I was just being polite in my first post. It's plagued with problems mainly generator and battery issues, probably inflamed because it has a tiny battery acting as a buffer between the generator and motor. A quick search for customer reviews will show many, many reports confirming these issues. Here's one forum discussing it https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/195441/nissan-qashqai

You obviously took issue with my comment, expressing my opinion that anything that doesn't plug in doesn't really belong in here and I hold that view for good reason. The EV forum is a busy one now, so IMO, there is room for non plug in hybrids to have it's own section, as they are far closer to ICE than they are to EV. I did NOT suggest the OP shouldn't post here, so maybe try to relax a little before your blood pressure goes up. You don't need to have a hernia every time someone expresses a negative opinion about non-BEVs.

Stay Free

Your proof is a thread with 4 posts, the first one does not state the reason for his failure, just a system fault, the next 2 is just more rubbish, last one is a problem with the steering wheel and maybe something wrong with the cruise control, maybe , problem logged, the rest of it, is just nit picking, nothing serious, more akin to fit and finish, but minor things like a missing 6 mm bolt, no panel gaps thank god.

Searched for "customer reviews nissan epower" first page bar your link all were positve, searched "nissan qashqai e power problems"

there is facebook page, but I don't use face book and I am unable to go further, found this little gem

"Plenty of positive reviews for the cars. Not unheard of for other car manufacturers/enthusiasts to spam car forums with rubbish stories to put buyers off either. So you need to take a balanced view. All makes/models of cars can go wrong

Internet car forums have a habit of attracting people who come to moan rather than people who enthuse.

I tend to look at post count and how long someone has been active on the forum as part of the balance. Too many one post wonders."

I did not really care about what you said I would have directed the post at you if I did, as for the ev and HYBRID forum, I think its fine, mostly because the hybrid stuff is usually quiet, everyone seems happy with them, the ev stuff is just a Tesla circle jerk and finding the sole perfect use scenario for a clapped out banger of an EV with 50 km range in the banger/bargain thread.

I don't know what you intend, I don't care, if you think you might have suggested the OP find some where else to post maybe address him.

The negative opinion is nonsense, I have addressed that already to the OP.

You did direct the post at me when you told the OP that (a) The stuff about complex drive trains is nonsense and (b) said "feel free to ask here in the electric and HYBRID forum".

It's either a complicated, or garbage drivetrain. If you saw the FB group, you would see that the e-power variant is a shít show. 12V batteries not up to the task. 2kWh piddly battery not enough to carry the car when power is needed, so the engine has to compensate just like the outlander PHEV had to whenever the foot was put down...but at least that had a decent size battery to work with.

Nobody here mentioned Tesla except you. I don't see why Tesla was mentioned by you, or why you tagged "panel gaps" into your post alongside it unless this was just another excuse for you to poke at Tesla owners. Sounds like you have a real problem with Tesla, or maybe it's Rocket Man? 😁

And what on earth are you on about with one post wonders? The newest member to post in this thread joined in 2019. The OP has the lowest post count and you responded to his query just fine. Loads of people also lost their account access in the change-over and some people post only a few times per year. You seem to jump all over the place anytime someone posts anything disagreeable with a hybrid. We get it. You love your hybrids. Anyway......

I linked "one" example. There are many more, but your search engine must be running on e-power. Let me help.

Their claimed efficiency...in the toilet.

Here's a general conversation I came across a few months ago on speakEV which ranks high on the search engine. https://www.speakev.com/threads/nissan-epower-good-or-evil.116153/page-7

Here's one from Australia which helps explain how you got confused into thinking it was a decent car. https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/the-truth-about-nissan-qashqai-e-power-series-hybrid-in-australia

There's plenty more there and the only positive, or neutral articles I found were either from the regular Qashqai, Nissan themselves, or journalists wined and dined by Nissan.

Stay Free

• Advertisement

Seen those figures, Seems good enough for a hybrid, 140km per hour is irrelevant, it is nonsense I explained to the OP already, 2 or 3 times I have said that.

I am not interested in the Qashqai, direct your posts to the op. 2nd time I have said that.

Relax you seem to be agitated.

What is nonsense is that Nissan didn't at least make the Qashqai a PHEV. The battery should be an order of magnitude bigger than what they put into this piddly excuse of a hybrid with old tech. More corner cutting and it's seen in customer reviews and problem reports.

I'll direct my posts where I intend to. I don't talk out of the side of my mouth.

Stay Free

Not interested in the qashqai.

I have said what I wanted to say to the OP, Any more questions feel free to ask here in the electric and HYBRID forum.

Your coming across as very agitated .

Driving a hybrid would agitate me. I'm certainly not agitated right now. Your psychic abilities are a little off tonight.

Stay Free

Advertisement