Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tony Allan's Irish Pirates

Options
  • 02-03-2024 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭

Englishman Tony Allan's voice was ubiquitous on Irish pirate radio during the 1980s. As well as presenting on countless radio stations, he also used his voice for ids and promos for many others. It was particularly difficult not to hear his voice on Dublin radio, but he was heard in various parts of Ireland. Tony had been involved with offshore pirates before coming to Ireland. In fact, he started in the Dublin pirate scene on or just before 1979.

Here is a list of the Irish pirates that he turned up on between 1979 and 1989. Unless otherwise stated, they are Dublin pirates. There are three I mention ("possibly") where I am not 100% sure if he actually presented on them, as opposed to lending his voice for ids, etc. There are plenty others I did not mention where it looks like his voice was being used for that purpose only.

ARD/Radio 257

Radio City (possibly – announced station frequency)

Southside Radio

Sunshine Radio

Radio Nova

Big D

Kiss FM (sister station of Radio Nova)

Capitol Radio (1982 version)

Exidy 738 (long wave pirate)

Magic 103 (possibly – used in a comedy promo with various Radio Nova voices)

Cork's ERI

Cork’s South Coast Radio

Mullingar’s Radio West (possibly – he did the idents)

Energy 103

LLCR (Liberties Local Community Radio

Galway’s WLS Music Radio

Galway’s Coast103

Phoenix Radio/CAU FM

Galway’s Quincentennial Radio (1989)

Any more examples of Irish pirates he presented on?

Post edited by Declan A Walsh on

Comments

Advertisement