Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cordyline

Options
  • 02-03-2024 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

hi Im looking for a maturish Cordyline ,position will be a sunny corner about a meter square ,or any small/medium tree that will provide vibrant colour most of the year ,just looking for some height and colour ,any nurseries to recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Ballyseedy.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Dirty plant. When they start shedding their leaves they are a nuisance.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,110 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agreed, I have one and any time any mowing happens the cordaline leaves have to be gathered or they tangle in the mower. There are always a few to be picked up, and loads after any wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭phormium

I don't know what to suggest to you but wouldn't go for cordyline, not pretty except when young in my opinion and in some of the nice colours you can get. The bog standard green is unexciting and definitely a nuisance as it gets bigger shedding leaves, now you can of course chop it down and let it start again but that kind of defeats the purpose you want it for. I haven't seen the more colourful ones in any great size.

I'd visit a few garden centres and have a look and ask questions, where in the country are you and someone might be able to recommend places.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Macker

Im in Dublin but regulary visit the likes of Rathoat garden center ,I work in Drogheda so can visit any nurserie in meath or Louth on my commute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

We ordered a plum eating apple and lilac lately from future forests online. They're settled in nicely and fingers crossed producing in the next few years.

Just ordered some hawthorn cuttings the other days from same so looking forward to planting them. We have a few mature ones the birds seem to love so thought we'd plant more

I don't know anything about cordyline but would definitely recommend the site we bought from.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,110 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you plant a hawthorn on its own somewhere - choose one with a strong central leader rather than one that branches from the bottom (which would be better for a hedge) - and let it grow for a couple of years, you can produce a nice medium sized tree. After it is well established start removing the bottom branches to create a trunk and gradually get it to a clear stem with branches starting about half to 2/3 of the way up. Treat it the opposite to a hedge plant, don't trim it initially, though after a couple of years you can take off the tips of any long side branches till you get a nice shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I had to remove a mature cordyline to make space for a garden room. Most difficult garden job I've ever done - they're like an iceberg, there's as much under the ground as over it and they grow back if you just cut them. I would never plant one now (I didn't plant that one either). I still have to pick up the bloody leaves though as the neighbours have a huge one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭monseiur

Try Future Forests in Bantry, Co. Cork - they can arrange delivery by courier etc.

Thank you ,, I did that with a holly tree and it worked well so I think Ill go that route

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

You will get lovely colour from a red robin plant all year round. Can be trimmed to look like a standard tree.

Thanks ,I've seen them in neighbors Gardens and they look well ,I was was thinking of something more upright ,crabapple maybe?

Advertisement