Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foam insulation

Options
  • 02-03-2024 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

Hi ,is it possible to do foam insulation yourself ,I have a 10cm gap between my kitchen extension and my neighbors so the area is 3mX3mX10cm app ,it will be a little exposed to the weather

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭10-10-20

No, not really. Any of the GP expanding foams on the market tend to expand too much, putting pressure on the blockwork and you could end up cracking the wall or worse. It's a big gap to be having heat-loss through... I'm trying to think of a product which would offer insulation and weather resistance as well as eliminating a thermal loop...

Vermiculite is not a runner as it adsorbs water. PIR won't work there at all, nether will glass or rock wool. Geocell glass?

You'd have to seal it off from the top and make sure that it remains dry, but also leave a gap on the side for any vapour to escape... Might be worth thinking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Macker

Thanks for that I'll look into it , would it make a differance if I could seal it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭10-10-20

You can't leave it open to the elements - moisture will come through the wall otherwise and cause damp on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,037 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If you do somehow manage to insulate that section you might end up with condensation problems in the corners due to thermal bridging (and the lack of insulation at these points)

Advertisement