Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hang a washing line help

Options
  • 02-03-2024 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm looking to hang a retractable washing line from a garden concrete fence post but I've heard mixed reviews about drilling into them.

Any suggestions here or workarounds?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭standardg60

A h-post OP?

Yes they are drillable but the smaller the hole the better to prevent cracking, a 6mm bit should be fine. Drill right in the middle of the post to avoid the steel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

H post correct. Thanks I'll give it a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

I'd investigate a clamp fixing if drilling is risky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

As always when drilling concrete, stay away from the edge/corners and only drill in as far as you need, in your case the depth of the wall plugs.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

a clamp fixing is a good idea to consider

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭jack of all

+1 for clamp fixing, either a large hose clamp (motor factors) or even a large zip/ cable tie or two. Easy to fit and no damage done.

Thanks for the clamp suggestions, only issue there is limited area to clamp around at top. And it would also mean clamping around the full post and showing on neighbours side. Which might be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭User567363

screw it onto the wood

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Heavy duty clear cable ties would do it if he can get them round or else plugs and screws

Timber likely loosen over time with weight of clothes

Post edited by tomhammer.. on

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Muas Tenek

• Advertisement

Looks good! What did you attach to them and what did you use to attach?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Muas Tenek

I kave one either side of the garden on standard concrete fence posts for washing line reel and the other side has the eye for the line hook.

They come in two pieces clamped together with a bolt and nut. Only tools needed are screwdriver and spanner.

There are holes at the front to use to attach the line reel to - I think I used M6 bolt and nut to attach it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Assuming the panels are similar to the shared photo, they have zero strength, dont attach anything to them or you will be rewashing a lot of clothes!

Advertisement