Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OldPC, trying to install Linux.

Options
  • 01-03-2024 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

HI Folks. We have an old Acer Aspire PC. Not really needed, and the HD seems to be Kaput. I wanted to boot it with Linux from a Linux Boot USB drive, but I can not get the bios to appear by hitting power on while hitting the "delete" key.

Any ideas anyone ?

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭tphase

Try F12 or F2

Edit

BIOS Keys by Manufacturer

Here's a list of common BIOS keys by brand. Depending on the age of your model, the key may be different.

• ASRock: F2 or DEL
    • ASUS: F2 for all PCs, F2 or DEL for Motherboards
    • Acer: F2 or DEL
    • Dell: F2 or F12
    • ECS: DEL
    • Gigabyte / Aorus: F2 or DEL
    • HP: F10
    • Lenovo (Consumer Laptops): F2 or Fn + F2
    • Lenovo (Desktops): F1
    • Lenovo (ThinkPads): Enter then F1.
    • MSI: DEL for motherboards and PCs
    • Microsoft Surface Tablets: Press and hold volume up button.
    • Origin PC: F2
    • Samsung: F2
    • Toshiba: F2
    • Zotac: DEL

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,064 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It can vary, F1 is also a popular one. But you may have misunderstood the method to access the BIOS. You don't hold it at the same time as hitting the power button. Just turn on the power, and you can either wait for the prompt for it to appear, or just keep repeatedly hitting it.

Is there any video output?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

Try F2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Usually it briefly displayed on the bottom of the screen before it boot to Win

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

https://community.acer.com/en/kb/articles/86-how-to-enter-the-bios-setup

As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press F2 for notebooks or Delete for desktops to enter the BIOS

Then you can can check the boot menu options are enabled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭daphil

Thanks lads, but there is no video appearing, so I hit the power button and repeatedly tapped "Del" and seperately tried F2 and F9.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,064 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Then it's almost certainly not a dead drive. You should be getting video output from the BIOS starting up, including a prompt for the right BIOS key, unless there's something very weird happening.

The Drive tries to boot then stops, the fan stops, then both start again, stop and go again.

That suggests a far more fundamental issue, either power, board or CPU instead.

What model is it?

Have you tried opening it up and unplugging power and data cables from the drive you think is damaged?

Popping the memory sticks and reseating them could be a good thing too. How long is it since it was in use?

• Advertisement

Months I think, it belongs to my son. Might have a look at that tomorrow. Thanks for all the interest.

There are dozens of models of Acer Aspire, some are laptops and some are desktops.

There must be more detail than that on it somewhere.

When you said PC in the original post, I assumed you meant it was a desktop computer and not a laptop?

After going past the are over it advert stuff there’s a good little step by step guide for troubleshooting black screen issue:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

Interesting post.Don't stop now

Aspire M3985 Desktop.

Will check power cables Memory Seating etc. later. It's just a challenge to see if I can get it going on Linux.

Thanks all.

I can't post a video. Leads seem ok. The hard drive tries to start, I hear three beeps, repeated twice, it then stops, fan stops, the light on the mouse goes off and then goes through the same cycle endlessely until unplugged.

Thanks for interest lads.

Thanks for the model number.

I see that by Hard Drive you meant the whole box rather than just the storage disk.

The 3 beeps repeated twice is good information.

Is there any chance it's One longer beep and Two short beeps repeated twice rather than 3 the same length?

If so, it's telling you it can't find a graphics card. Worth asking your son if he removed one...

There should be a HDMI and a (blue) VGA socket on the back of the PC anyway, but can you see any others in the slots?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Yes, it literally sounds like a problem with the video card.

One long beep, followed by two beeps which repeat indicates VGA Error or could not detect a VGA adapter.

All three bleeps are of equal length and it's got integrated graphics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

If (IF) this is i5-3450 CPU, it has build-in GPU.

Remove discrete GPU and connect to I/O video port (HDMI, VGA), see if it kick in

Thanks. The board has integrated graphics, but is there also an add on card?

If the BIOS is set to always use a discrete card and it's faulty it could be causing a problem. Back to which socket are you connecting it to the monitor or TV.

Unfortunately there was no listing of three equal beeps repeated twice on the computers manual. If it was me I'd reseat the RAM first and see how much there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Or take out the RAM and see if the beeps change.

Exactly. 3 beeps has often been RAM, but it's the easiest thing to try. Pop it out, blow away the dust, pop one back in and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭mikewest

Back to basics.

Acer BIOS (Award) three beeps is RAM failure

Three plus two is memory failure

1. Check the RAM, remove all sticks, blow out the slots, reseat each stick separately and test. If still failing remove again and rub a pencil eraser along the contacts of the RAM sticks, retest.

2. Is the CMOS battery good? Replace if in doubt and retest(CR2032 I think).

3. Borrow a compatible stick of RAM from somewhere and test that. If all fails, assume motherboard failure unless you have access to a POST code test tool.

If I remove all ram, I get a continuos beep. I cleaned ram and sockets and used the twox4 ram seperately and in each memory socket and I get three even beeps everytime. I don't have access to other ram at the moment, as I live in the country. Looking like a re-cycling job,

Thanks everyone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

4GB DDR3 for €4.50 including delivery.

But very unlikely for both memory sticks to have failed.

If you are in an area where stuff gets damaged by lightning then once one component fails then everything else in the computer is likely to fail in time.

"But very unlikely for both memory sticks to have failed."

That was my thinking too and to have all four Ram sockets not seeing to work seems strange. Will mess agound with it for another while, as I have another Desktop.

Thanks

UPDATE

I found a CMOS battery AND a dv cable , as advised and turned on the PC. I thought I heard 4 beeps this time, but it eventually booted.

However, I turned it off to see would it reboot and it's back to the 3 beeps, stop and retry.

Thanks for all the advice, I may keep trying for a while, but I can't see what else I could try.

It might have been less infurating if it had NOT booted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement