Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen appliances

Options
  • 01-03-2024 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Just putting a budget together to fit a new kitchen and I need to get all new appliances. I've just moved and the existing kitchen needs replacing and the appliances are literally on their last legs. I basically need everything, washer/dryer, cooker, microwave, fridge/freezer, dishwasher, extractor fan, hob. What are the best brands ad more importantly, are there any I should avoid? There's a huge range out there and I find that a lot of retail staff aren't really too familiar with their product. They just want to get a sale. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

I got 2 Bosch ovens, 2 Bosch dishwashers, a Bosch quantum speed microwave, a Miele coffee machine and an LG american style fridge back in 2005. All still going strong. Oh no, ive just put the mockers on them. 😆

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

My entire kitchen is BSH (Bosch, Siemens, they also have Neff and Gaggenau if you have absolutely giant pockets); main reason I go with them is parts availability - if something breaks there is a vastly higher chance that it can be repaired. The only exception is the rice cooker, I don't believe they make those and I wanted a very specific size that only Judge seem to offer in Ireland.

In my time using them I've had the microwave go a bit mad, out of warranty, repaired FOC as they wanted the system board to check to find what was wrong (possible safety issue). First kettle burnt out, limescale, it happens. Athlet vacuum cleaner needed a seal replaced, in warranty, FOC.

I replaced a 2000 built Bosch dishwasher I'd been given for free as it needed a load of seals replaced and was starting to look crap; but it was repairable and working. I had replaced the drain hose and the moving bits of the bottom rack that had worn out; parts still available.

Samsung fridges have historically had a terrible reputation on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭JVince

Really depends on your budget and expectations.

If you plan to be in the same house for 15+ years, then invest in good equipment. Zanussi, Bosch, Siemens

If you think you will move within 10 years, look at the simpler machines such as indesit and Hotpoint.

Read reviews of products, gather a list and then haggle a little

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭chancer12

Thanks so much, this is my final move. Don't have a limitless budget but don't want to be replacing items in a few years either. Have just started my research and wanted to exclude some brands to make it easier. LG seems to be appearing across a range of appliances. I have an LG TV but only got it last year. Am starting with the appliance search before I look at the kitchen providers. Because the sky seems to be the limit there and there are soooooooooooooooo many kitchen companies, the mind boggles!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Plenty of savings up the north and a lot of places deliver countrywide.

Some things are fairly easy. You need a fridge that fits the space you have, so that narrows it down.

The dishwasher and washing machine should be sized to the household as you don't want to have to do two loads.

• Advertisement

I'm in the north regularly and find kitchen appliances to be more expensive generally.

You might find the odd item here and there being a little cheaper, but most are more expensive.

Currys in letterkenny make frequent deliveries into NI despite a store in Derry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Ok, I'm only speaking from my own experience from last year. I bought smaller items like my job from northern Ireland and thought there was good value.

Went to DID yesterday and they were really helpful and willing to give a discount for multiple purchases. The sales assistant I spoke with has worked there for 15+ years and knows his products so would be happy to deal with him. Some of the other big retailers have very young staff who really don't know much other than the price of what they're selling.

He also recommended a kitchen provider and I was happy out that I might be making significant progress. I then met a friend who has just put in a new kitchen and he said his fitter had told him to avoid that company like the plague. He actually refuses to fit their kitchens! My friend went with IKEA and they are very happy with it. So, this week's focus will be on the kitchen providers.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Cash and Carry kitchens have very good reputation.

Not the cheapest, but no fake "50%off" sales.

IKEA are very good, but make sure the fitters know the IKEA system. They used to have slightly different sizing for built-in appliances, so check that too.

Cash and Carry Kitchens was the one my friend's fitter said to avoid. But I will go and check it both it and Ikea. Need to check if non-IKEA appliances can be used. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Honestly I got a Which? subscription for a few months when we were moving into our house & had to get all new appliances. It was brilliant for the testing part. Not too pricey either for a couple of months.

As for ourselves - I wanted the Neff oven with the slide & hide door. We then got the combi microwave/actual oven which has been brilliant. Dishwasher is a Zanussi which I don't like & would change. Just not great & others for similar price were probably better. Washing machine is a Bosch & again I would not buy it again. Had nothing but issues. Engineer out 3 times in the first year to fix.

Thanks Witchgirl26. Noted, I think the subscription to Which is a good idea. In terms of the appliances, at this stage it almost seems like a case of luck. So many have spoken very highly of Bosch. I've had De Dietrich, Zanussi and Indesit previously. I found, however, that fridge/freezers and washing machines have a limited shelf life. Admittedly I had two very sporty kids so there was a lot of washing. Made the mistake of a frost free FF and they just don't last.

Possibly because they don't use independent fitters 😁

C&C kitchens make everything themselves in Cork and fit themselves. The units are also put together in the factory rather than flat packed.

My parents got a kitchen off them about 30 years ago. Its still in good nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭MacDanger

(Apologies for hijacking the thread) but does anyone have experience dealing with "Dalzells of Markethill" in Armagh?

Also, anyone know what the story is with respect to warranties now that the UK is no longer in the EU? Are we covered when buying in NI or not?

Edit: sent them an email enquiry (quick response in fairness) and received back a list of prices; no discount for multi-buying and just said that manufacturers warranty applies.

For what I'm looking at, prices with retailers here are coming in ~ €500 better on a ~3900 order

Post edited by MacDanger on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭MacDanger

2nd question on this, how have people found Power City for customer service?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're not great, a number of threads here about people going to small claims to get basic rights.

I'm willing to do that faff if required; and also know that I can just go to BSH direct for most warranty issues, so I've bought off whoever is cheapest and has stock - current kitchen appliances are from a mix of Powercity, Currys, Harvey Norman, Arnotts (yes, they were actually cheapest on something!), Redmonds in Gorey and Kellys in Athleague.

The pricing was so variable that I don't think the Powercity and Harvey Norman ability to make a deal on a bulk order could have possibly saved anything in the end - there were multiple hundreds in the difference between retailers on the dishwasher and the fridge/freezer for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

we did the same sort of thing. New cooker, BOSH, about 750-800 euro...Induction Hob NEFF , although it seems BOSH own Neff, or is it the other way around..hmmmm. Anyway, induction hob was nearly 700 I think... These are great . It takes about half the time to heat the things up and cook. Great technology I have to say. Most pots and pans are induction friendly. Need to do the magnet test!! Harvey Norman. We got a new Miele Dishwasher as they were reducing the show room one... Though we did have a BOSH dishwasher for 20 years...Had to change a hinge on it at one stage...would go for Bosh again TBH...Went for a standard extractor fan. We needed the integrated one. 150 euro, also H.Norman.

Same microwave....

Hope this helps

Bosch outright own BSH which has the Bosch, Siemens, Neff and some other brands. Used to be 50/50 with Siemens, but they sold out and left a licence for the brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I used them approx. 10 years ago (obviously pre-Brexit) and had no issues. At the time, I found they were only cheaper for ovens and I got a double Neff oven for about €200 cheaper than here. It was free delivery to limited counties in ROI at the time, I'm not sure if that has changed. The most annoying thing is that they don't have any prices on their website and you have to contact them.

I got a Bosch dishwasher and washing machine, Zanussi gas hob, Electrolux fridge-freezer and Samsung microwave in Power City. Apart from the microwave, all going strong 10 years later (hope I'm not jinxing myself). It was a bit easier to bargain with them 10 years ago though and some places were encouraging it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I've been following consumer threads on boards for a while and DID get good reviews for CS, Power City not so much. I have no direct experence of either. I have purchased from both but thankfully have not had any cause in the past few years to look to either of them for post sales support.

Where I do have direct experience is with Bosch/Siemens/Neff. In 2011 I installed a Bosch dishwasher and fridge/freezer and a Neff oven (couldn't resist the slide-away door) and they're all working perfectly. But .... a warning about Neff ovens, replacing the grill element is not a simple matter of plug out and plug in as it was on my previous oven. In my Neff oven (not top of their range), the grill element is bolted to the oven and the nuts are on the rear panel i.e. it's bolted on from behind. Which means that the whole unit has to come out in order to fit a replacement.

Beware of kitchen companies or fitters recommending a single brand (often Nordmende) of appliance, they are getting a kickback from the distributor so they are motivated solely by commission, not your best interests. And bear in mind that, under consumer legislation, your first port of call in the event of a warranty claim is with the retailer. Which in your case (if you buy from the kitchen fitter) will be a guy in a van who will not return your calls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭rob316

30 years ago things were built to last. C&C is junk now, I'd pick IKEA over it anyday. Thats my opinion and one of their fitters

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Kurooi

Rather than brands, I'd recommend avoiding currys. I've had awful experiences with them. Quite often I also see them push overpriced garbage.

Powercity is great, I always found decent deals and help there and they know their products.

And product wise just avoid overpriced rubbish. Touch displays, computerized, "smart" features and gimmicks are just another factor that breaks.

Advertisement