Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How much would you pay for low mileage ?

Options
  • 01-03-2024 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

Hi,

Im wondering how much people would pay extra for the same car but with lower mileage ?

Both are 2017, full main dealer service history.

2017 Ioniq 200k km @ €9300

2017 Ioniq 50k km @ 11,500

Both spotless.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Depends on the mileage your going to do and how long you intend to keep it, I'd pay more for the low miles as I do a good bit of milage so when I sell on the car the mileage looks normal. If you do low miles the opposite, go for the cheaper one so when you sell the mileage looks normal again.

Saying that the milage on the cheaper one is high, i'd be inclined to go for the more expensive one, i've no idea if that's good value though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Basilio

Car mileage bandings

The UK's average annual car mileage can fluctuate year-on-year, but if your car exceeds this figure, it can lose value even quicker. Car mileage can be grouped into bands of 20,000 miles.

This is a convenient model for calculating car mileage depreciation, as each time a car passes through a mileage band, it will lose on average around 20% of its current value.

A loose example would be a new car purchased for £20,000 and then sold a few years later with 40,000 miles on the mile counter. Based on mileage alone, the car would be worth around £12,800 at resale, with its value having decreased from £20,000 to £16,000, then £16,000 to £12,800 (each a decrease of 20%)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭pajosjunkbox

I will be doing low enough mileage. Roughly 7-8 K per year.

What price do you think they should be ? There are none lower on Done Deal at the moment .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭insullation

The asking prices on Donedeal for EV means very little at the moment - most will not achieve anything like what they are asking...I picked up an EV very recently that was advertised on DD for 20K privately. I got it for 15K. Don't be afraid to offer a much lower asking price and say that you are willing to go view the car if they are wiling to consider X amount. All they can say is No thanks and you just move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

In those 2 examples, in my particular position and opinion, I'd be buying the lower mileage one.

1 - buying)I wouldn't be stretching myself to buy either at this particular juncture of my life

2 - selling)I doubt I'd keep it for a long time and I do 20k KMs per year so after 3 years I'd be selling either a 110k KMs car or a 260k KMs car, one would fly out the gate and the other wouldn't, I'd put better weight on selling quickly when I decided to do it than recouping most of my money

Apply yourself to my points above and arrive at your answer, those apply to me only.

Nice car the 17 Ioniq by the way they are very well respected here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I’d buy the lower mileage one. It will remain low mileage then with your useage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

The ioniqs seem to be about as cheap an Ev you can buy for the age at the moment, €10k only seems to get you a 24kWh leaf, which is completely different range category than the ioniq.

While this is good when your buying, it's probably going to be bad if/when you plan to sell. So I'm not sure spending and extra €2k now to preserve re-sale is a wise investment. But maybe it's worth the €2k to potentially get a more reliable car (no idea)

I don't know what price they should be but I paid 6k more than the low mileage one for a 2022 ioniq 38 up North last week.

Same mileage, so a high mileage car for its age. But it should in theory have 3 more years of car warranty (0 with a 2017) and 6 more years of battery warranty ( between 10 to 22 months left on a 2017). Getting our first Ev the warranty was important to us anyways

The 28 and 38 have their pros and cons versus each other (bigger battery on the 38, but much slower charging)

Edit: changed the difference from 5k to 6k, apparently I do maths bad

Post edited by witnessmenow on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭eagerv

I think they are a good buy atm. The battery seems bulletproof, ok warranty gone. Some of the dealerships would worry me a bit if something serious had to be fixed.

I would also go for the low mileage one. General wear and tear should be lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Whats the story with Ioniq drivetrain warranty?

I think the Ioniq has a 160k km's warranty limit regardless of age (?), so presumably you have no warranty at all on the high miler. You would have on the low mileage one.

For that reason I'd be sticking to the low miler. €2k wont cover much if anything goes wrong with the drivetrain (even if it is known to be reliable).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭joe1303l

In most cases €1000 of a differential but the 2 Ioniq examples you mention are quite extreme. On a newer car, the most significant influence would be how soon you’d end up out of say an 8year or 160K Kms battery warranty. The low mileage 2017 Ioniq is particularly overpriced to start with. On a high end car, mileage would be more relevant but not on a 7 year old econobox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

They were 28k new, some got them for 26k, 3 years ago they should been around 14 k, now its another 4 years, just because there is none lower, does not mean its good value.

The market is falling, I would hold on for another while, you can see a 2021 id3 with a 19k asking price, twice the range and half the age for 7500 more.

Even the poster above me got a 2 year old car for an extra 5000 euro.

Better cars are getting cheaper.

Would it be wise to leave buying until the summer and see if prices fall further ?

Advertisement