Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Extra Stout and Foreign Extra Stout - best value?

Options
  • 29-02-2024 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭

I know that O'Briens chain are the best value for FES, at 2.35 for a 33cl bottle.

My query is about Extra Stout.

(1) I have see a 6pack of 33cl bottles for 9.90, in TESCO and Dunnes - is that the best price available?

(2) In terms of 50cl cans of Extra Stout, what is the typical price?

This deal at 1.80 seems good:

(3) Are 568ml bottles of Extra Stout sold at retail anywhere? Or only in pubs?

A quick search on Google suggest that Carryout sell them, although 3.65 seems a bit high

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭ablelocks

have seen the large bottles in O'Briens from time to time can't rem the pricing though.

Generally i go for the 6x330ml when i want stout and it's usually around €10 for 6.

Never had the cans though - is it as good from the can as it is from the bottle?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's the same liquid whether from a bottle or can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭donaghs

€1.80 a can in Tesco seems a good price. Always seems to be a good bit more than €2 anywhere i see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I called into a TESCO this evening, no sign of 50cl cans for 1.80.

They were 3.20.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

would not agree.a bottle of guinness tastes completely different to a pint of draught and it's the same liquid.would not drink a pint of draught.no desire to try a can

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Nobody mentioned Draught. Carbonated Guinness, as depicted in the two screenshots above, is going to taste (and feel) different from nitrogenated Draught Guinness. But carbonated Guinness from a bottle tastes identical to carbonated Guinness from a can. You can test this with a triangle test.

This discussion is not about draught nitrogenated Guinness.

It is about Extra Stout.

The point made was that Extra Stout in a can is the same liquid as Extra Stout in a bottle.

I intend to visit O'Briens tomorrow and purchase some Foreign Extra Stout at 2.35 per 33cl bottle.

But I have a lip on me for some Extra Stout also.

Oddly, the price on www.tesco.ie is now 2.90, see screenshot below. Although I swore I saw 3.20 on the shelf yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭donaghs

Six 330ml Guinness extra bottles are €9 with a club card in Tesco at the moment. Which is cheaper than normal:

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/en-IE/products/252145327

Thanks.

Now I have a lip for the West Indies porter, to purchase tomorrow afternoon.

I could get to a TESCO, Dunnes, O'Briens, Carry-out.

Although when I look under Stout & Porter on the O'Brien's website, it's not listed.

What shop is my best bet?

Advertisement