Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NewDad - Button Factory

Options
  • 29-02-2024 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

hi all

going to this with a mate tonight, Ive never even heard them, will do some intensive revision during the day

was anyone there last night, any good? was there a support? any good?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭mgkelly

Been to see them at Stendhal Festival a couple of years ago. I really liked them. Lot of energy. Real good indie vibe, with perhaps a slight shoegaze element. Guitar heavy music.

They seem to be heavily feted as potentially big up & coming act.

It should be a good gig.

BTW, originally from Galway. Very much a home grown act, like a lot of some very good guitar based acts at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

According to the tour poster the support act tonight is different to last night. banríon are tonight's support. If you like NewDad you'll probably like the support act as well.

The Button Factory website has the show start time as 20:00. I'd say 20:15 is more likely for banríon but maybe someone who was there last night could confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Well that was a struggle for a jaded, cynical, grumpy old man such as myself. Bog standard indie performed to a young, super enthusiastic crowd does not match up with my idea of a good gig. Tbf, i had seen them before at ATN and left after 15 minutes so i knew this probably wasn't going to be my bag, but i was prepared to give them another go. Not sure why theyre receiving so much praise, there isn't much going on that makes them stand out. I'd also sack the drummer for being too showbiz and having a dreadful haircut. That's enough to give him gate in my book. In saying all that, if you're a fan it was decent enough.

They'll probably be huge. Has anyone given them 'the next Cranberries' tag yet?

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

Not a massive vote of confidence!!

• Advertisement

I did enjoy them when I saw them. And have followed them with interest. But there's some truth in your comments. Many good acts out there. Some better. And yeah, some dodgy haircuts! 😏

I wish them well. Hopefully they don't implode with the attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭fourmations

have to agree, i thought it was straight boring, lacked any spark, the overall volume was just way too quiet which didnt help, lead guitarist was lost in the mix, stupid screens around drummer was annoying, couldnt see him at all, even felt the partisan young crowd were trying to convince themselves it was "a deadly gig" i had heard about them but only listenened yesterday, gave a setlist playlist several spins on spotify and was underwhelmed, thought it might have had more bite live but alas far from it, best of luck to them , i'm not in the habit of poor reviewing but I found them on record and live to be nothing special at all, run of the mill, cliches all over the place, you know what the song is going to go like in the first 20 seconds, formulaic indie, cheers

Post edited by fourmations on

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

Following NewDad enthusiastically a few years now but I have to agree with the above.

I saw them in Galway, a homecoming gig of sorts, at the Roisin a few months ago - a bit underwhelming. For exactly the same reasons as you have highlighted. For a 4 piece, and in a very small venue, there should have been more bite.

I'd put being underwhelmed down to the fact that the support band were great - Shark School, another local Galway garage band.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I think a lot of Irish music is lauded and approved and promoted in the same way Kanye has promoted himself as a genius

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Stillill42

It's good that young Irish bands are getting a bit of attention, a bit of a push. New Dad on Tommy Tiernan there Saturday night for example. Defo a buzz about Irish music at the moment, Radio 6 mad for Irish stuff, lots of people happy to spotlight it. Once they're out there, they've got to back it it up with great music, great shows. Not seeing it myself with New Dad but good luck to them. You know, the likes of Sprints got a bit of love recently. Where next is always the question. Fontaines made the big leap, the likes of Murder Capital next level down, can sell Olympia, Vicar Street, not sure they can go beyond that. Even maintaining it is tough. Anyway, good to see so much life about the whole scene at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭cannco253

Supporting the pixies at the airport gig on August

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Acosta

I had some hope for them, based on their early singles. But the album is fairly flat. Must agree with "bog standard indie" observation.

There are however, some excellent Irish bands around these days. Just Mustard are the pick of the bunch for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

I'd go ... if it was anywhere other than the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭TenPicnics

I thought Just Mustard had folded a year or 2 ago? Hope I'm wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Acosta

They are not long back from a big stadium tour of South America, supporting The Cure. Doing very well, in fairness to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Saw Just Mustard supporting The Cure a few years ago. Good band.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭crl84

Played Beyond The Pale last June, so not unless they've finished since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭TenPicnics

I've no idea who I mixed them up with, thanks all for confirming Just Mustard are definitely alive and thriving!

First heard them on BBC6 Music roughly 3 years ago, Steve Lamacq (DJ) has been giving them regular playing since then. He/BBC6 Music often highlight good Irish acts, probably very useful to them for UK tours and festivals.

Advertisement