Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 spring fertilizer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭grass10

Ignore most of what you see on social media no accurate information on this ad you can buy what products you want but you have a yearly limit on your farm fertiliser purchase and up to you to comply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭morphy87

I won’t be doing anything for a few weeks till it dries up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Cut sward €450

Urea €470

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Cutsward 420 or 430 paid on collection in one place in cavan. Cousin bought a pallet today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭Dickie10

well lads i want to get something out soon, ewes and lambs under pressure here with grass, i have a field thats greened up well, soil sample from autumn 2021 says ph is 6.0 with buffer 6.6, the phosphorus is Index 3 and Pottassium is Index 2. what should i go with? ground is not bad no lying water , youll see tyre tracks but wont harm ground

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I'd be inclined to go with 18 6 12 with S or maybe some pasture sward with S.

lovely thanks , its 22 acres , should i go with 3/4 bag to acre? so two half ton bags, i usually never put out just one half bag across it always two

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Two half ton bags will be a bit shy of 1 bag to the acre (20/22)

18:6:12 with sulphur is the best option. How much you want to go with really depends on how heavy you’re stocked. You could Go with the 1 bag acre for now and go again with another bag in May/June depending on growth and demand at the time.

great thanks for that! i will go with bag to the acre so as im heavy stocked all right. probabaly wont need much more for year, i just need to get it moving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

would it still be safe to spread urea? Still plenty of rain to wash it in obviously but with the sun starting to shine between showers just wondering would there be a risk of any being lost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Jb1989

As said before if your knees get damp when you kneel in the grass then your safe, sun or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

That’s what I was going off but was talking to another guy today who mentioned it being too sunny between the showers for urea! Thanks

Good lot of rain coming Sunday evening and onto Monday . Think I’ll wait til mid week now

Think you’ll be fairly safe in this weather with urea. Unless it ends up floating down the road - tsunami’s are more frequent than sun round here at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Oh jasus lads looking for rain already. Can nearly spread urea anytime of the year in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Sillycave

I am trying to figure out what’s the max amount of fert I can put out so I don’t exceed it with all the new requirements.

I am lost and can’t make heads or tails of it

i am stocked under 130kg/ha, I believe this makes a difference

i don’t have any soil samples done

we normally go with 18-6-12 for silage and grazing

could someone please point me in the right direction?

also how many units of n-p-k should be applied for silage ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭anthony500_1

From my understanding of it, due to the fact you have no soil samples taken, you are given a figure of 4, this means to the department you have no requirement for P without having soil samples, so as you don't have samples you can't put out any P at all. Regardless if the ground needs it or not. To the best of my knowledge you can go with 18.0.12, can, or urea for example that's no problem but once you add any figure to P your in bother I'm open to correction there but I think that's the basics of it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Good loser

He should get soil sampling done as soon as possible. He can take the samples himself and the co-op will tell him where to get tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭limo_100

just wondering if a can of urea is 375kg and I want to apply half a bag to the acre how many acres would a 375kg bag do?? Can is easier 20acres 😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

ground dried great today went out with 8 loads of slurry just to drop tank hopefully go with the resst next week on silage grounnd. were after getting heavy showers here now though but ill chance 18-6-12 tomoorrow , really need to get something moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

got some soil samples back, the p is low (2s and1s) and a few of the fields low k. What would you recommend as a good fertilizer for the 2 ?

the ground is for grass

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭DBK1

Is it for grazing or silage? There’ll be a big difference in nutrients required depending on which it is.

For first cut silage on index 2 land ideally you need 25 units of P and 120 units of k. At this stage of the year though it’s too late to be spreading that much k as the plant won’t utilise it so you won’t get the benefit. I’d be sticking to 80-100 units. Autumn is the best time to apply k to build up indices.

Some of the P and K requirements will come from organic manure if it has received any. Depending on quantity and quality of organic manure, it’s value will be reduced from the requirement and it’s only then you’ll know what the right fertiliser is to be spreading.

Also you need to know what your P allowance is, which depends on stocking rate and soil samples over the whole farm so you may not be allowed spread all the P that’s required to grow a decent crop.

Really your asking how long is a piece of string without giving a lot more information along with it’s grass and index 2!

Presume you mean it’s for grazing?

I’d go with 2-3 bags of 10-10-20 now. And in the autumn I’d go again with maybe 1-2 bags of 0-7-30. Build it up slowly.

If you have slurry or even better is FYM , it will help hugely as well.

The 2 to 3 bags to acre of 10-10-20 will be expensive so you can gauge this versus your Stocking levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭alps

What is your stocking rate and are you in an SAC?

Heard of a lad lately in an SAC who is bringing up stocking rate up to 130, as below 130 he has no P allowance.

These things could go unnoticed for years until an inpection. Now that there is a fertiliser register, there will be no opportunity to correct a wrong fertiliser application.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭older by the day

The ground is for grass, I presume grazing too.

18.6.12 is an all round good fertiliser if you have an allowance. But if you are grazing cows in a few weeks the k would not be good for grass tetany. I would fix the p&k later on.

Coming back to you DBK1 if there was no slurry, what do you spread to get that amount of k before silage. I don't go half that for silage. But my Ks are getting low on outside blocks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭DBK1

Without slurry you’ve only 2 options really, 0-7-30 or muriate of potash which is 0-0-50.

My silage ground came out of long term tillage 7 or 8 years ago and it was very low on K but surprisingly high in P. The only P it has got in the last 5 years has been from slurry, both cattle and pig slurry. I use mainly 19-0-15 then as well and it has slowly built up the k index. It’s just touching index 3 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Conversations 3

I have a reseed sown in October, didn't get any fertilizer, spray or grazed yet.

One of my silage fields is still saturated.

Would it do any harm taking a cut off the reseed?

Also might take silage off the stronger grazing paddocks and graze the silage ground as growth isn't as strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,364 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Your better off grazing the reseed first if ya can. Cutting for silage first could damage it as the grass hasn't properly taken hold

Advertisement