Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart meter and Standard Rates

Options
  • 28-02-2024 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi,Anyone know if I have a smart meter will energy companies allow me take out a 24 hr standard rate plan if I want to switch providers or will I need to go on a smart plan which would not suit as I wont use much electricity at night.Asking because I am due to get smart meter installed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Same or similar question here:

But yes, there are 24hr Smart plans available now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 pgtipz

Interesting topic - my story, smart meter installed Oct.'23 but was told at the time I would not need to configure new meter as 'Smart'. Nov '23 joined Yuno on day/night plan (as we consume approx 50% of electricity at night - heat pump & ev). With recent market prices decrease I began shopping around - saw good day/night plan with Energia BUT they told me as my meter is now configured as 'smart', I can only move to a smart tariff. I wasn't aware of that Yuno would request my meter be configured as 'smart' and apparently asked ESB networks to expedite the process in Jan-24 (I must have missed it in the Yuno T&C's 😔). This won't help with smart meter adoption as there is a real price disincentive to moving to Energia smart v non smart day/night plan (See below). Using https://www.energypal.ie/ custom pricing feature I would save approx €300 per year on the 'legacy' non smart day/night plan with Energia. Plus Yuno will not allow me to re-configure the meter to 'non-smart' (ESB networks have said they can but only if requested to do so by current supplier). (prices below include VAT)

I get the benefits of smart meters and better usage insights but not at €300 per year more as in this case - we should be trying to encourage not disincentive - something I hope the CRU is looking at.

Advertisement