Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Transfer to hire car cost

Options
  • 28-02-2024 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi I'm just wondering if my insurance brokers are taking the piss or is this standard.

My car is off the road for 5 to 6 weeks waiting for parts, my insurance will cover a couple of weeks and I'll have to pay the rest myself.

I was told by the broker to transfer the insurance to the hire car and the quoted 25 euro PER week for the cover.

This is an administration fee irrespective of the cars

I would have thought it should be a once off charge rather than a rolling charge.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

In any case I've ever seen, the transfer was either free or there was a ONE OFF administration charge. Never a weekly charge. That's just silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,332 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I've never done more than one temporary transfer in a policy year and on each occasion, Axa never charged me a cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭on_the_roots

Sounds like a specific employee's bullshit. Try ringing them multiple times until you get someone decent to speak to.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭MikeCairo78

It will be in their terms and condition's - schedule of fees - look up your last renewal documents and it will be there, better yet contact them and ask for them to point out where it is in the t&c's

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭billgibney

It's there all right, hidden away in the bowels of fine print.

I'll dig it out and post it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭HorseSea

What broker is it, one to avoid when shopping around in future, that's just taking the mickey.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭JVince

Avoid that rip-off broker.

Places that blatantly rip a customer off deserve no custom. The work involved in this takes about 1 minute maximum. Maybe 2 minutes if they are very slow and inefficient.

How much commission are they ripping off when it comes to your renewal?

It's getsetgo, online only

I got my AIG quote for 360 which was great, full no claims protection, windscreen, breakdown cover.

Couldn't be happier with the AIG end, but the spare part is going to be several weeks, not their fault either.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭on_the_roots

GetSetGo and Itsforwomen are the kind of "Ryanair" of brokers. They give you cheap premiums but anything apart from that is charged. That's how they make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

Any transfers I've made have always been a one off charge.Never heard of a rolling charge before.Had one repair where it took longer than the policy allowed-had my hire car for the entire period for the initial charge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Leonita

If you are using a garage car there is no cost to do a temporary transfer. I have had to do this yesterday and prior to that it was always the same.

Thanks for treating me like an idiot.

Your policy isn't necessarily the same as mine

There's the section for any doubters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

It's poor form by your insurer. It should be seen as a single alteration

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Good price for policy but I will certainly avoid that broker will those kind of conditions attached.

Advertisement