Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long term weight loss

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭ottolwinner

What’s your target OP? How much do you want to lose and what’s the long term timeline of that?

what’s the hardest part of losing it for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Interesting thread..

I'm now late 40s so getting rid of the weight takes a lot longer than it used to in my experience, but on top of that is a WFH job that keeps me tied to the desk most of the day on calls and replying to emails and messages.

I also hate cooking. I'm not a foodie and eat quickly in general so spending 30/40 minutes preparing and cleaning up after a meal that'll take me 10 to eat is a real bug bear for me. I also have a very sweet tooth and love of things like a takeaway.

But I'd like to lose a bit of weight as it's been creeping up since WFH became my normal day. I occasionally get out for a walk but it depends on my day as to whether I will have the mental energy/motivation for it after work or not.

I know I'm not helping myself of course, but this is the way it is. It's a pity there's not some sort of pill you could just take in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

I'm mid 50's, I was never overweight in my life but in the last year have gone down to waist 30 (from a 32). I make a point of walking every single day but my new regime is doing press-ups first thing in the morning and evening (along with some light resistance training) and that really made a huge difference for me. It's hard work, but I haven't missed a day in a year. The only downside is my left shoulder is a bit sore now and having to get physio. In terms of diet, I have porridge for breakfast everyday, apple at 11 with coffee and banana at lunchtime with water. I eat what I want at dinner and always snack with crisps/dark chocolate in the evening. I drink too but I ain't cutting that out. I had a medical check the other day and my blood pressure is 119/70 so I was very pleased with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Cut white bread out all together you be amazed how much you lose off the belly.

Keep an eye on your calorie intake moderate exercise.

Pick one day a week let yourself have as a free day get take away or some sort of treet.

I've shed just short of 22kg since last May.

Trousers 36 inch to a 34

XXL t shirt to a L t shirt but I perfair xl

Don't beat yourself up about the weighing scales let you clothes do the talking most.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

I think I am super lucky in that I learned to quite love cooking after I had a bit of a mindset change on it. I stopped looking at it as a means to an end (to produce food to eat) and started looking at it as an end/hobby in itself. And after that I got to like it, then to love it, and now its in my top 3 obsessive hobbies.

What I noticed in myself and others though is that when stress hits, or a pull on our available time, or a lull in our energy and motivation - what we eat tends to be one of the first areas that gets compromised. That little bit of time and effort we can save by reaching for the "convenience" food. And there is a lot one can lose out by doing that. Not just the good nutrition.

Unfortunately that can be a spiral leading to more malaise and drops in energy and motivation. Until our sleep and stress and more can be affected. And our concentration and focus - so now a work day that might have taken us 7 hours before requires 9. And the spiral continues. Not to mention that bad eating is not the only cause of weight gain. Hormonal issues around stress and sleep and so forth are also being identified more and more in studies and research.

As for energy and motivation for exercise - over the years I have found them the worst thing to rely on for me to get the exercise done. Too variable and unreliable. What I use is discipline.

If I want to get it done the best way to do that is to just do it. Sitting around waiting for motivation to come and inspire me to do it simply would not work for me. Very quickly a few days of "I will do it later" would become "I will do it tomorrow" and then become "Ah remember that thing I used to do - I should start doing that again sometime".

There are little tricks that help with that of course - It's nice when motivation supports discipline for sure. But no matter how much I support my self discipline - my discipline still needs to be there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement