Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second broken spoke

Options
  • 27-02-2024 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

A spoke broke for the first time on my commuter bike rear wheel (Triban RC520) about 2 months ago and I had it replaced at a bike shop. I think it cost about €30-40 to repair. I have the bike nearly 4 years and use it 2-3 times a week for a long-ish commute.

Another spoke broke yesterday.

Is there a point in having the spoke replaced again?

I've done a quick search for replacement wheels and they start at €100.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭ARX

That seems rather expensive to replace a single broken spoke. I paid €15 at my local bike shop (one of the best in Dublin). Cheap wheels are perhaps more likely to break spokes than more expensive wheels, particularly if you're on the heavier side.

Look at bike-components.de, bike-discount.de, rosebikes.ie, bike24.com and mantel.com for some ideas on new wheels. I can't recommend any but no doubt someone will soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Shotser

Usually 3+ broken spokes means a new wheel. Once the first one goes its not long before more do. You might be able to find a wheel on clearance (especially if its a rim brake wheel) online somewhere if you do replace it.

Advertisement