Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spawell

Options
  • 27-02-2024 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭

Do many people actually go to the Spawell Driving Range?

I work close enough and would like to pop over the odd lunch time but @ €20 a bucket there is not a hope.

I have asked them why they don't do a day time rate like other places do, but they don't seem to care.

For example it's only €10 before 2pm in Leopardstown and only €15 after that, and it's what? 10 minutes away.

I would say Trackman in Leopardstown is also better than Top Tracer in the Spawell, but that's probably subjective.

I know it's going to close over the next year or so, but to be honest I'm surprised anyone would go there.

I just don't understand their price point and who would actually go there instead of tipping 10 minutes further along the M50

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Gary_dunne

The €20 buckets are only for the TopTracer bays upstairs.

You can get a large bucket (90 balls) for €12 for all the bays downstairs or a medium bucket (70, I think) for €10.

I go as it's relatively close to the house and not overly interested in the Tracer features so the ordinary bays do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 go1f

Spawell is convenient for me. It's about a 10min drive vs 30mins to Leopardstown. 12 euro for 90 balls is not so bad as it's conveniently located for me but agree that it would be nice if they had some offers for off-peak times.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Trackman/Top Tracer ranges are pricey. Palmerstown is €18 for an hour and 90 balls.

I've used Spawell a few times, and its grand. Isn't it being shutdown soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Gary_dunne

Ye unfortunately it is. Not sure on exact dates though.

"Spawell Golf Academy is set to be demolished after Dublin GAA announced its intention to apply for a ten year permission for the development of a new GAA Cluster Facility on site."

https://irishgolfer.ie/latest-golf-news/gui-ilgu-news/2023/11/13/spawell-golf-academy-set-for-demolition-after-dublin-gaa-planning-permission/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Yeah I go fairly regularly, not sure where you are getting €20 a bucket from. It's €8 for a Medium bucket of 60 balls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

It is 20 for the TopTracer bays upstairs alright.

Think the current rates are 12 for a large and 10 for a medium bucket alright.

I still use it once in a while as the range at my home club is outdoors and not lit, so not really an option in the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

It’s the price advertised on their website. i had no idea what the regular price is as they don’t advertise that. I also asked them via message if they have any discounted rates at €20 is to expensive. Their answer was simple no.

I am comparing like with like though because it is for top tracer bays and I am comparing against Leopardstown prices, which has Trackman in every bay and their price incorporates its usage, they do not charge extra for Trackman.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think it’s like €12-15 for 90 balls in my local range. All the bays are Top Tracer.

i know ranges likely have a big initial cost when they’re paying for top tracer or track man but after that they are surely profit machines?

20 is too much IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

The €20 includes a large bucket of balls though which is around €12 or something in itself. Considering how dear Palmerstown is. I think they are all around the same price give or take a few quid.. Like the K club and that sigmoid is €40/50 an hour hitting into a screen 🤷‍♂️. I used to go a fair bit but always taught the Spawell was dearer then most ranges but I did find the Top Tracer good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Large bucket in Leopardstown including Trackman is €10 off peak and €15 peak....... v €20 all times in Spawell

In Fairness, Simulator is totally different so not really comparable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

I'd say they were profit machines for the first ones to do them until their competitors did them too. Now, it's just a cost increase for driving ranges, as if you don't have one you won't get enough business. Which becomes a cost increase for us. We are getting an enhanced product, but it seems the prices have gone from 8,10,12 euro to 15,20.

I'm still not convinced they're all that useful with the info you get from them either. I would like info on angle of attack, but none of them seem to do that. But distance, carry, height, curve..... they're just not the measures I'm looking for in the range to gauge how I'm doing. Angle of attack and clubface angle is what I'd love on those monitors. How badly am I coming from out to in and how much am I hitting up on my irons and down on my driver. Also, I wouldn't mind knowing where I'm hitting it on the face. But with the info you do get, the big concern when I go to the range is I'll start looking at distance and trying to max out there. All that will happen at that stage is I'll engrain bad habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Local range is €15 for 120 balls.

If you play the courses your looking at around two hours, pretty good value I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭chalky_ie

They are a complete waste of time as a data gathering tool, you're using battered range balls and they aren't very accurate systems. If you're not using it to play a course for a bit of fun, you might as well just get a normal bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

AFAIK the ones in Spawell are calibrated to account for using range balls. I think (but not 100% sure of the value) its something like 15% or 18% of a reduction Vs a normal ball, presumably something like a ProV1. I'm good friends with one of the pros there and he tells me its actually fairly close and accurate for doing gapping sessions. Personally I tend to take the view that its a bit like a weighing scales, it doesn't matter if its not 100% accurate as long as you use the same scales all the time ! Probbaly better for tracking progress rather than getting your "stock" numbers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭chalky_ie

I've had a go a few times and have not found them great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Pretty sure you need to switch the normalisation on in the spawell. Not sure if it's on as a default

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

I dont think the Spawell is accurate even if you turn the button off for accounting for range balls think its 10% but it is easy to turn off. I'd love to hit the numbers Top tracer gives me in the Spawell 😂 My PRGR is more accurate to on course numbers. But I still prefer to use Top Tracer than just hitting balls...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

I've only used them a couple of times tbh, but found it more or less the same as what I was seeing on the Trackmans in Leopardstown. That said I'd always prefer a trackman when I'm doing my actual gapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I've been queuing for a bay on many a evening in the Spawell, so yes I'd imagine quite a few people use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 franksmissing

I'm happy with the price there! And the convenience of the location is great too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

None of these range systems are very accurate. You need to use full Trackman, like a pro has, or one of the other comparable systems.

Advertisement