Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maynooth or Lusk - which would be the best location to buy a new build?

Options
  • 27-02-2024 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

I’m confused to choose the right place to buy a house in terms of safety, transportation to Dublin city, future value, schools, hospitals and other amenities. Could you please help to provide your insights on which would be a best place to buy a house Maynooth or Lusk?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

You also need to consider the looming water shortage in Dublin

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I'm originally from Leixlip and Maynooth is lovely. It has a great vibe, good transport links, and is quite safe. There is a good selection of local amenities - Royal Canal, Castletown House, a huge Tesco (retail park), and some lovely restaurants (Carton House is a stone's throw away). It also has a Maynooth University and a direct rail link to Dublin City along with regular buses. The nearest hospital is Naas, but there is also a private hospital in Clane which is close.

I don't know much about Lusk but I would recommend Maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

It all comes down to personal preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I live in Swords (near Lusk) and used to work near Maynooth so I'll try to compare the two towns

For safety, both should be fine. Lusk is probably slightly safer being a smaller town, but it has been known for a large group of knackers to take the train up on sunny days and overwhelm the place. Maynooth has the university and has a more vibrant night life, but also the problems that go with that

Transport, I'd say they're both similar. They both have train lines into Connolly station. I'd say Maynooth has a slight advantage because the Sligo train stops there and runs an express service to Dublin. It's also at the start of the commuter train line so you're more likely to get a seat. However it's worth checking the timetables to see how frequent services are to both towns

Future resale value, look that's a gamble no matter where you look. Both towns are likely to retain their value given they have good access to Dublin

Neither town have hospitals, or are close to any

Both towns are going to be stretched in terms of schools with all the new houses that have been built. I'd recommend looking at the admission policies for schools in that area and they might publish if they were oversubscribed in the past few years. Be wary of plans to build new schools, unless there's a concrete opening date they have a habit of being delayed by years

Amenities, Maynooth has a better nightlife, more shops and restaurants. Lusk is a smaller town but that can be an advantage if you're looking for somewhere quieter. It's also close to the seaside which is an advantage

One warning with Lusk, if you look in the Dublin County North forum there's a lot of posts about power and water outages around Lusk. The infrastructure for the town wasn't really up to the job for all the new construction. The council have been upgrading, but it's worth checking up on to see if there's still issues ongoing

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement